back to article AWS is coming for UK infrastructure suppliers' lunch – report

Traditional IT infrastructure suppliers had better watch out, as Amazon Web Services (AWS) is coming for their lunch, having already doubled its growth in Blighty over the last year - according to research. During 2015 the outfit posted bumper UK revenue growth, up 45 per cent to £254m, according to TechMarketView's top 20 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it just a case of number shifting.

Surely many of these will already be set up on the US instances (same as MS and Google), so won't appear in the UK stats.

2. Dr Who

Data Protection?

On what basis can any UK private or public sector business use AWS whilst complying with data protection legislation? Even with the EU-US privacy shield (which replaces the old safe harbour agreement) and even with a UK data centre, the fact that remains that Amazon is a US incorporated business and as such cannot give any guarantees that it won't have to hand over data to any US federal agency.

In my view, to give any kind of meaningful data protection commitment to UK customers, your company must be incorporated in the UK and your data centre must be at least within the EEA or more likely within the UK.

That said, this is the kind of thing no IT services buyer really cares about ... until their employees' email history is released to the FBI. And as they used to say about Microsoft, nobody ever got sacked for buying AWS.

1. Lusty

Re: Data Protection?

Quite easily, actually. Try reading the data protection requirements rather than making assumptions about your commitments under them. They are pretty liberal, actually, and allow most data to live in most places for most uses. Data centres in the UK make almost no difference to this particular regulation, although there are a couple of other regulations which do require UK based data.

What I have seen, however, is a massive unending string of solutions based in UK data centres which massively breach requirements over and over again. If UK companies were bothered by data protection law there would be a significantly smaller market for storage!

GDPR will highlight what people are doing wrong much more efficiently, although it really only states what everyone should have been doing previously.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"In my view, to give any kind of meaningful data protection commitment to UK customers, your company must be incorporated in the UK and your data centre must be at least within the EEA or more likely within the UK."

What to you is a data protection commitment? What you seem to be implying is a little East German.

1. pauleverett

there is EU wide 10 year data retention requirement for any kind of financial/transnational information. That is not east German, it's something anyone doing trade eCommerce should be aware of, and has been in place for a few years now. That data is required to be on a server, in the EU. When you commit to AWS for long term storage, it is basically doomed if anything happens to you, or your operation within the next 10 years, that might result in your payments to Amazon, stopping. Once you stop paying, your data will vanish, and your are breaking the law, by not fulfilling your storage obligation. storage is not an option, it is an obligation. so if your under some bridge somewhere, in the middle of winter, in a few years time, and amazon deletes your data, you could potentially get a few nights free lodgings, or a fine you cant pay.

My point is,I don't need amazon, with its monthly payments, for my long term storage. I need a service that allows me to store my data, securely, for 10 years, for a fixed fee, and no matter what happens, that data is safe, and I don't have to pay for it every month. I need that now, whilst I am still able to pay for it, and deduct it. 10 years is a long time, and shit does happen. IMO it doesn't matter how cheep it is, the idea of a monthly payment, forever, for my data, is scary. I am still looking for the right solution.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hi Paul, Cloudian's AWS & Google S3-compatible hybrid storage solution brings the flexibility and simplicity of public cloud storage into their customer’s data centres. [Disclosure] Couldn't resist the plug for my employer, but maybe we can solve your " it doesn't matter how cheep it is, the idea of a monthly payment, forever, for my data, is scary. I am still looking for the right solution". at a predictable and affordable cost. Regards Arian

3. Bruce Ordway

Optional title?

If I understand the numbers in this article, I might come up with an alternative title.

- Large % growth rates in IaaS/PaaS do not translate into big revenue gains for players

- Top 20 2015 revenue.... £11.29bn.... -1%

01 - HPE....... £2.17bn .......... + 2%

02 - IBM....... £1.41bn .......... + 0%

03 - Fujitsu... £1.25bn .......... - 9% (temp conditions)

15 - AWS....... £0.25bn ......... + 45% (UK data centre planned)

XX - Microsoft. 2015 N/A (2016 growth est 60%.... £0.90bn)

YY - Google.... 2015 N/A (2016 no data)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't the better analogy that more people are buying fruit rather than growing their own. But you can't compare an IBM apple and an AWS orange in a meaningful way using these numbers.....

5. dcathjlmif

To Big to Fail ?

The worry I have with the clouds models is what happens when two or three big banks and a couple of government departments are with one company and the company hits trouble. If one of these banks is to big to fail and we have to bail it out. then we will have to bail out the cloud company right..

Look to me like you are putting your business in a position were another business has the ability to stop you trading.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020