back to article Gartner: It's tough out there for server-sellers

Gartner's number-crunchers say the server market declined in the third quarter, with only Cisco and the Others supplier category showing revenue growth. Worldwide server revenue slumped 5.8 per cent from a year ago with shipments sliding 2.6 per cent. In the x86 category, there was a 1.6 per cent decline in revenue and 2.3 per …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever Huawei and Inspur are doing?

You mean starting small and being Chinese to capture growth in the only area likely to experience large growth on an absolute basis in the next few years?

1. Victor 2

Re: Whatever Huawei and Inspur are doing?

Corruption. It's what Huawei and Inspur are doing. I live in Venezuela and all of the pro-Chinese government is plagued with Huawei and Inspur, who sell at twice the price and leave half of the money in the hands of corrupt management, government and military.

1. mi1400

Re: Whatever Huawei and Inspur are doing?

Dear Victor2 ... its easy to score quick cheap up votes on european/western forums with such comments. Lemme tell u a fact. Why blackberry failed??? cuz its western origin with labor & camera techs very expensive. same for European phones which came and went. Now Huawei.. it makes phones, telecom modems, routers, switches and servers with pre fitted telco stuff. Why Venezuela etc are choosing chinese equipment is because Siemens, Alcatel, Ericsson all known to have backdoors. So its better to have backdoors with politically and strategically aligned country here china. There is no corruption involved.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'd be interesting to know how much profit each of these vendors were making on their sales.

It's all very well selling $1bn of servers, but if you're making $0 off those sales, what's the point in doing it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The revenue HP, IBM makes on servers is profitable due to selling proprietary crap - Unix, Mainframe, iSeries.

Lenovo and Dell are doing it the hard way - x86 only - so hats off to them.

I don't understand the Chinese stuff. No exposure to it in North America.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you make that customer wants, it still sells well

As the growth in the "other" category shows, companies which make good-quality products at an affordable price can still sell their wares and grow, even in the shrinking overall market. Having dealt with a largish number of HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Supermicro boxes (never could afford IBM branded hardware, though), my personal list of vendor priorities is simple:

- I'll use Supermicro anytime with no resevations; never had a serious issue with their products, and the little irritations which do arise now and again are dealt with promptly and professionally

- I might use Dell or Lenovo, provided that I can find a system which fits our requirement; unfortunately, most systems in their current catalogue seem to be designed with somebody else in mind and/or are way overpriced

- I would not touch HP with a bargepole. Their prices are good, but that's the only good thing I could say....

It looks like quite a few people agree with me: Supermicro's sales keep growing (with an occasional hiccup here and there), and it seems to be up to about 25% of Dell's and more than half of IBM's in this segment. If somebody told me this 10 years ago, I would not have believed it...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like