back to article Boffins of the future gear up to build their own beastmode rigs

The tenth annual Student Cluster Competition kicked off Monday at the SC16 conference here in Salt Lake City, Utah. This is a competition for the ages, with some wildly divergent hardware configurations, more teams than ever before at a SC competition (14), plus some special features that are sure to throw the budding HPCers for …

1. JetSetJim Silver badge
    Coat

Pi

I wonder how well 100-2000 Raspberry Pi's would fare - apparently they draw about 2W under load (varies, depending on model, plus I suppose you'd need a boat load of networking gear to connect them up, which would eat into your 3000W power budget a little)

1. druck Silver badge

Re: Pi

Raspberry Pi's no, but this might be worth a go http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/15/packet_dotnet_arm_cloud/

2. Vinyl-Junkie
    Black Helicopters

Distributed Password Auditing/Recovery

"Their task is to verify the passwords by hashing out the hash and coming up with the actual password"

Data for this part of the test will be supplied by the NSA...

3. Robert Helpmann?? Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Predictable

The organisers of the competition this year are going to flip a switch at an undisclosed time to replicate that experience.

Not a bad idea to build this in to the competition, but it makes sense to add other events so that it is not always the same thing. Yes, power failure is a predictable occurrence and should be planned for. What makes this sort of competition interesting and adds value to the outcome is how teams respond to unpredictable events.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

Proud to say

GROMACS was first developed at the University of Groningen (my university). Not that I had anything to do with its development. The closest I got was teaching "Introduction to Computational Science" together with my esteemed colleague Henk Bekker, who did actually contribute, in particular in the development of the LINCS (LINear Constraints Solver) used in GROMACS. Very neat piece of code.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019