back to article Lenovo hires tech 'big brains' to turn around crappy sales

With sales shrinking in every corner of the portfolio and staff losing their jobs, Lenovo said Thursday it has hired some of the industry's "top minds" – presumably to help it figure a way out of its perfect storm. The Chinese giant has reported an 8 per cent year-on-year drop in Q2 revenue to $11.2bn, though this was up 12 …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Some good advice would be don't get yourselves a bad reputation for shipping spyware in your PCs. But I suppose it's a bit late for that.

1. BillG
      Happy

Some good advice would be don't get yourselves a bad reputation for shipping spyware in your PCs. But I suppose it's a bit late for that.

Exactly. They lost a lot of government PC sales when that whole spyware mess hit. Lots of distrust buying kit from China.

Meanwhile, Dell seems to be doing okay in PC sales.

2. Chez

I would buy a brand new laptop from them right now, if they went straight back to the classic Thinkpad design. Follow it to the letter, just give me updated specs (and no fucking malware in the BIOS).

Doubtless, we'll instead just see more glossy, thin, fragile wannabe-macbooks with no battery life.

3. djstardust

They do have great machines

You just have to hunt about a bit.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/125-lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-12-2in1-ultrabook-fhd-ips-touchscreen-26ghz-i7-5600u-8gb-ddr3-256gb-ssd-win

And no Windows 10 spyware crap. yay!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

maybe

they can sell their biz to IBM, or something? :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: maybe

beat me to it.

5. David Lawton

Is this because IBM buy Macs now and not Lenovo ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have been looking around for a reasonable laptop

> Not into the "ultrathin" look as I don't go to Starbucks, but need serious RAM.

> Local shops carry a few from Acer, ASUS, HP and PEAQ (a MediaMarkt brand built by Lenovo), but nothing inspiring (or configurable, of course)

> Some Linux laptops from garage shops. May be of interest, but let's look further.

> Dell website extra slow, doesn't really work (database error or something), insists it knows which keyboard I want based on "muh country I live in" and the only machines running Linux are XPS and some olden Inspirons. Nope!!

> Not too hot on Acer

> Asus looks good but selection is confusing, and I don't want to splurge on a "Gaming Laptop"

Finally ended up with a Lenovo of the Thinkpad series (Lenovo has best website I think), which looks good, and apparently can run a small selection of Linux versions, too.

Buy Y/N?

1. jglathe
      Alert

Re: I have been looking around for a reasonable laptop

Main issue (besides of keyboard, glossy screen) is fan noise, IMO. I have punished Lenovo for my 2012 T420s (and myself, apparrently) for having a nice laptop that sounds like a little hair dryer the moment you do some work. Punishment was to buy a Fujitsu U745 (in 2015). And guess what, it's even louder and more annoying when its run unthrottled. Nice machine in every other aspect, the whole package (including dock) is really nice. Solution is to not buy i7 if you aren't deaf, and / or to throttle the CPU at 95% or so. This way turbo mode is off, and you get a mostly silent machine. If Lenovo, then have a look at the keyboard layout. The best value for money appears to be Asus (non-Zen), though. They also have good keyboards and are generally well-built.

7. joed

last time I checked they've had nothing to ship

it's taken them months to resume "normal" shipments. By "normal" they mean 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. All this while complaining about weak market. Maybe they should look for the problem on the inside.

8. Walter Bishop Silver badge

Kirk: Here's how to turn around Lenovo

Lenovo should expand into the games console, livingroom multimedia center and virtual reality headset market . Provide an online game server experience, provide a Netflix type video experience and create a Lenovo franchise with the high-street electronic chains. That way once they've sold the hardware they can triple-dip on the games and videos.

* According to google there are already Lenovo franchises. Oh, wait, they can only open in China or India and can only sell Microsoft, well played there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019