back to article HTML 5.1 signed off

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has declared the HTML 5.1 spec is now a "Recommendation", the body's jargon declaring it is done, dusted, signed off and utterly complete. The full spec is here for your reading pleasure and the list of new features is here. Among the more interesting new bits, the <picture> and srcset …

1. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Well finally

Finally.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Merkins

Problem with leaving these specs in the hands of Merkins is the inclusion of attributes like 'nonce'

1. Robin

Re: Merkins

When he asked what I was laughing at, I've just had to explain this to my Catalan co-worker :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But nonce (number used once) has been around in programming since I can remember, hardly a new Americanism.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Having to spell "color" everywhere in DOM/CSS is downright American imperialism.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was expecting this to be called HTML6, with HTML7 due out by year's end, ultimately achieving version parity with Chrome and Firefox within 3 years.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

HTML 5 Anniversary Edition, and if you haven't been nagged into upgrading from HTML 2 through 4 then it is now too late to do so.

Also it includes Adobe Flash for your compatibility needs.

Oh, what am I saying! That was Windows 5 To You Doubled.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Also it includes Adobe Flash for your compatibility needs.

Not far from the truth!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally...

... some more XSS vectors...

On a more serious note, good to see 'nonce' being added to script attribute for Content Security Policy. People using will be another matter entirely!

5. David Lawton

im sure IE6 users will be pleased :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon