back to article HP Enterprise, Mirantis sack couple of hundred OpenStack engineers

Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Mirantis have laid off roughly 200 OpenStack developers in recent weeks, calling into question the appeal of OpenStack, the open source project for cloud computing infrastructure. HPE spokesperson Meghan Fintland in an email confirmed the layoffs, noting HPE does not provide details about the …

1. EarthDog

"restructure the work force"

Lay people off and replace them with "early career" hires *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "restructure the work force"

I particularly like this sentence: "HPE, she said, remains committed to Israel as a market and expects the Yehud Development Center to remain significant source of talent and innovation for HPE." Except it lacks the "or else" finial.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "restructure the work force"

ie - "early career " - Injun scabs corralled in smelly rooms practicing their Python lessons .

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dead in water

A very large tech company spent millions of dollars implementing an internal Openstack based private cloud with 'support' from Mirantis.

Few months after general availability when it became apparent performance, stability and ease of use were simply non-existent with many critical features missing, breaking bugs in every layer of the system, APIs that look and feel as if they have been designed by first-time developers straight out of Uni with no actual design to work off of and wildly different API calls under the 'same' API, the project was scratched with the millions spent on hardware written off or to be repurposed.

Nice idea, shame about the execution. Do yourselves a favour and use something, anything, else.

There are reasons why there are no large scale installations of Openstack that can actually demonstrate the kinds of loads being routinely handled by a small fraction of AWS's users being shown anywhere outside of HP or Mirantis.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dead in water

The sooner people realize OpenStack is not for the mere mortals out there, but only for the very same and few guys that sponsor its development, the sooner we can stop the Openmadness.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the heads up. I've attended a couple of OpenStack training courses offered by Mirantis, and I saw a lot of instability and errors even during their lab exercises on virtual machines. I don't know how anyone can make a successful OpenStack deployment with so little consistency between the various components and the documentation.

I currently work in software defined storage, and I can also confirm that the whole "scalability" benefit is a load of hot air. The largest customers consistently encounter the most problems with scalability, which is the opposite of what you would expect if you believe the marketing hype.

Personally I believe that hubris will destroy the software defined data center.

3. fredesmite

Rackspace would disagree .

3. thomn8r

In October, HPe Storage laid off a about 55 people at the Roseville, CA site, including a bunch of OpenStack developers (some were OpenStack core developers) who were working on the OpenStack 3PAR back-end.

4. fredesmite

HP can't even repackage a open source project !

The HP logo "Invent" has been replaced with " outsourced to lowest Injun bidder"

apt-get install openstack

That is the Openstack deployment model -- if you have questions .. read the docs .

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like