back to article Grab your code ASAP: Nitrous cloud IDE evaporates in two weeks

Software may be moving to the cloud, but developers have been slow to follow. Nitrous.io on Monday said it plans to shut down its cloud-based development platform in two weeks. In a terse blog post, the company said it will close its Nitrous Development Platform and Cloud IDE on November 14, 2016, and will refund payments …

1. Nate Amsden

provider longevity

Got that question answered now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-33jcEDk4

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Cloud-based IDE

Will ..pause.. it be ..pause.. as slow ..pause.. as other ..pause.. remote online ..pause.. solutions?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cloud-based IDE

Not my experience with Cloud 9. I don't currently pay them, but I did when I needed the extra options (for about a year or so). The paid version was faster, but even the free one was extremely responsive when coding in both Node and Go.

Maybe my area of the UK has superior broadband (unlikely) but the C9 IDE has quite literally never been a bottleneck.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now we know the answer to the question...

..."move it to the cloud, what could possibly go wrong?"

4. revilo

concerns illustrated by this comment system

The requirement to have a stable connection is

one concern. More important are questions like: will the

IDE still around in 10 years?

(IDEs I have programmed in 30 years ago are all long

gone but also my code is gone). Now things are worse:

is my code still mine? Who has access to it?

Will my coding practice, error statistics etc be

recorded and mined or even worse, published in the future?

Who will have access to it? How fast are bugs in the

IDE weeded out? How well is it backed up?

P.S. I tried to up-vote an other comment here but

could not. Always get directed to the "post screen".

This comment system is a multiple times more primitive

than a software development system but it can have bugs

too. And if things don't work, one is helpless.

5. nematoad
    Unhappy

Agreed.

"Commonly voiced objections include lack of responsiveness, lack of control, dependency on a network connection, and uncertainty about provider longevity."

Yes, that's summed up my feelings about the "cloud". I just wonder why so many people are betting their businesses on such a foundation.

6. karlkarl Silver badge

Cloud IDEs have been used since the 80s...

.. and they are actually pretty good.

For example, I log into my development server using SSH, happily code away using Vim and then commit / store backups in my Subversion repo running on a couple of servers.

Is this not developing in the cloud? Do people only call a cloud development platform something written in HTML and Javascript and running in a web browser?

1. Doctor Huh?

Re: Cloud IDEs have been used since the 80s...

No, you are not developing in The Cloud. The essence of The Cloud (vs. client-server) is that you don't really know the server. The address used to access the server/service is really that of a router/dispatcher/load-balancer/call-it-what-you-will/false-front that vectors requests/traffic to available servers/service-providers. SSH, on the other hand, fingerprints the endpoints and makes a certain amount of effort to prevent endpoint spoofing, so you care deeply and intimately about the particular server you are accessing.

Remote access != Cloud. SSH/Vim != Cloud Development. Vim != IDE

At the risk of restarting the war, VIM is an editor; EMACS is an IDE (or just an Integrated Environment for Everything).

7. Lee D Silver badge

How hard is this?

Web-based, distributed, accessible-anywhere, software - good idea.

Third party in control of it - Atrocious, terrible, appalling idea for just this reason.

Do "cloud" in-house and on your own cloud-based servers or not at all. Don't sign up to third-party cloud services that you are then forever reliant on them operating in the same manner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon