back to article RIP Vale Sheri S.Tepper

Beloved science fiction, horror and fantasy author Sheri S Tepper has died, aged 87. Tepper often wove feminism and environmentalism into her novels and is perhaps best known for 1989's Grass and its sequels; two-book series The Awakeners; and Gibbon's Decline & Fall, for which she was shortlisted for the Arthur C Clarke award …

1. Sixtysix
    Unhappy

Very sad

So many fine stories, and I was exceedingly fond of The Land of the True Game (Mavin and Jinian particularly) in my youth.

I can still clearly remember the plot twist of Grass with a small shiver of horror!

2. Another Brick

Read a lot of her works. A very fine author. I had no idea she was so advanced in years. Grass was indeed an epic, with a wonderful twist.

3. Chris Gray 1
    Unhappy

Another one gone

Dang, they do seem to be dying off.

I've got Awakeners, Beauty and a 6-novel pair of The True Game. I'll have to re-read them when I'm done my current book!

1. Mark 85

Re: Another one gone

Dang, they do seem to be dying off.

The great ones are gone or going. I hope that they won't be forgotten by future generations.

4. FriendInMiami

My favorite

Started with the 9 books of the True Game series, as I could find them as they were coming out. Started with the Mavin Manyshaped ones, actually. I have given away copies of many of her books to others to read (of Beauty, and of The Gate to Women's Country, mostly). She really had seen her end coming and wrapped up a series fairly well - to crib from Wikipedia it began with A Plague of Angels (Bantam, 1993), continued with The Waters Rising (Eos, released August 31, 2010) and wrapped up a couple of years ago with Fish Tails (2014). And Fish Tales brought back in people from the True Game, putting a bow on her work.

As wonderful as her writing was, her life also involved service to humanity - she directed a regional office of Planned Parenthood in Colorado, admirably well. And for those of you given to mysteries rather than scifi/fantasy, she also produced many books under other names. I have bookshelves of Tepper, and do reread ones from time to time. Some tend to stick with one - Northshore and Southshore lived with me a long time, and as I think back I was especially fond of The Revenants and have reread it most. Thank you El Reg for saluting her departure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon