back to article No shoes for little Timmy, Mama needs a new 10TB hard drive

Seagate has announced six new Guardian Series disk drives for internal use in portables, desktops and gaming rigs, with BarraCuda and FireCuda branding and a variety of form factors. Here is the product list: 2.5-inch BarraCuda 7mm thick with 500GB, 1TB and 2TB capacities BarraCuda 15mm thick with 3TB, 4TB and 5TB …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

This infomercial is missing...

...prices?

1. 2460 Something

Re: This infomercial is missing...

I had a quick look and found the 10TB from 3rd party seller on Amazon .. at £498 .. which is pretty good. HGST 10TB is £600. Hopefully over the next year or so they start to drop down to £30/TB.

2. nagyeger

tech?

And what sort of tech are they based on? Air-filled or something exotic, etc. etc.?

1. Jon Massey

Re: tech?

PMR, not SMR apparently. Certainly makes the 5TB 2.5 inchers an attractive proposition

3. jason 7

Just a shame...

...they are Seagates.

1. Tezfair

Re: Just a shame...

I would have seagates over WDs any time. I had to send back a new WD 6Tb as it was having issues. A client server was supplied with 5 x 1Tb WDs enterprise, as each one failed we replaced it with a Seagate. The server hasn't been in production a year yet and so far 3 have been replaced.

Having dealt with as many hdds as I have had curries, seagates come top for me, whereas we have a dedicated returns procedure for WDs as we send so many back.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Just a shame...

All you need to do is name a manufacturer of hard drives, and you'll soon get a bunch of comments detailing how one of $manufacturer's devices stopped working and lost all their files/data/pets, and another tranche of comments saying that, no, actually $other_manufacturer is much, much worse.

Just buy something with a decent warranty (your harddrive will almost certainly wait until it runs out to fail), and make backups!.

4. LaunchpadBS

I'm gonna go ahead and...

Wait for a more reliable brand to bring out a 10TB before upgrading, the last 3 Seagates I had all died an early death, while my old WD keeps chugging along

1. Tezfair

Re: I'm gonna go ahead and...

That's really interesting, as I just replied to Jason7, that we never get a seagate failure, yet WDs do all the time, you say the opposite. Bizarre.

1. LaunchpadBS

@Tezfair I'm talking bout the consumer grade ones, not pro, have 2 WD greens that've been running 24/7 in a media box for 6 years now. Luck of the draw maybe.

1. jason 7

It is luck of the draw to a degree. In my experience of roving IT Support guy Seagates and Toshiba are the highest fails I've seen. Hence why I don't buy them.

Whenever you post this type of thing you'll get three others stating different experiences.

I still suspect quality tolerances dropped during the floods a few years back to get more product out the door and they never went back up once stocks returned to normal.

2. ChrisC Silver badge

Barring fubars in the respective R&D/manufacturing departments that give rise to genuine problems such as the legendary Deathstar family, or the SD1A firmware bug (you know a problem is serious when you can remember what it's called years after the fact despite it not having been given a catchy name like "Deathstar"...), most drive failures IME are either down to statistics biting your drive in the arse and causing a premature failure, or down to accelerated ageing due to the environmental conditions in which you're using the drive (e.g. in a poorly ventilated case, resulting in consistently higher than desirable temperatures).

So these days I tend not to worry about who's making the drive and just make my purchasing selection based on a combination of cost and compatibility with the host device/intended use cases. Which generally ends up with me buying the cheapest external drive I can find from a high-street supplier in the required capacity, adding the enclosure to my collection of potentially useful spare parts, and fitting the bare drive.

Since I gave up on returning dead drives years ago after realising the cost of shipping them back to the manufacturer using the required delivery method was often getting close to the cost of a replacement drive anyway, the voiding of any warranty I might have had on the external drive by tearing it apart really doesn't worry me. Being able to potentially get a replacement drive up and running in the host device in under an hour from the point at which I realise it needs a replacement, at a price that's rarely any higher than the best online price, and is often slightly/somewhat better, has far more appeal...

5. Andrew Jones 2

Yeah... so £15-20 is the most I am paying for shoes - for anyone. 10TB drives are going to have to fall a hell of a lot before I reach the point of "shoes or a new HDD".

Also - Timmy says "TIMMY!" whenever I ask if he needs new shoes - so I think we will be OK for a while yet.

6. razorfishsl

so 310 TB a year max?

30% of that will disappear just on raid maintenance with a full disk scrub once a month.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon