back to article Apple hires CMU AI guru Russ Salakhutdinov to lure over more talent

Apple has hired Russ Salakhutdinov, an associate professor in the deep learning department at Carnegie Mellon University, to oversee its AI research and improve relations with academia. Salakhutdinov says he is excited to join Apple as a director of AI research, even as he continues his work at CMU. He also extended an …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, some other time...

Apple's decision to open source the Swift programming language last year suggests the company isn't entirely hermetic

There is a world of difference between open sourcing software and allowing staff to write academic papers and publish them. I have been on both sides of the fence - academia and commercial and I am yet to see a company that has anything even remotely approaching the mentality needed to work with top level academic talent in CS or math.

As a mental exercise, try this one for laughs: "I will write all documents in LaTeX". This is essential if you want to publish them in a self-respecting mathematics or CS publication. Now try that in a company Engineering department (regardless of the engineering type). Just invite me to sell tickets when you are explaining this to the PHB in charge of the department why the documents are not in Microsh*t word as mandated by policy. No comments on trying to do formulae in something that till this day cannot correctly format the the phrase "f*ck off" with correct kerning. Bonus points for the mental exercise of doing it in Apple/Google/etc and not using the glorious Words/GoogleDocs/etc (none of which can do proper math).

This is just to start with. If you somehow manage to write said paper and are given the time to do it without being savaged on PR review why you are not providing daily agile standup feedback on how it is progressing, now try to get IPR clearance from legal to publish it.

I am not even going to discuss the idea of collaborating with other researchers on something a company may claim an IPR on, participating in collaborative projects, etc.

The gap between the academic and commercial worlds is not narrowing over time. It is actually growing. So good luck on any such ideas. I do not see it flying any time soon.

2. Alexander J. Martin

"Asked about this, Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Has Kieren tried sending Alan Hely another email?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: "Asked about this, Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

"Sending an e-mail to Alan in Apple PR" is right on track becoming a proverb/euphemism ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020