back to article Dell-EMC races to add and extend flashy bits into its boxen

Dell EMC is driving full tilt to extend flash support and lower costs in its storage array hardware and software product set, with in-line compression, high-capacity SSD support and the spinning off old data to the cloud. Data Domain arrays get a speed boost with metadata storage in flash, and an effective capacitty boost with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

por que eXtremeIO?

Continued confirmation that the eXtremeIO experiment is all but over. After seeding the market and calling it "revenue" and then forcing a product that was half baked when released and after seeing numerous high profile customers have data loss events that costs millions in lost productivity, the shift to rescue poor disk based VMAX business has them all-in.

Funny now with the Dell merger we see the death of Equallogic, and the repositioning of Compellant as "the SMB Choice", funny I recall Dell spending signficiant time and money to tell us that Compellant was Tier1 Enterprise. How times change.

Unity continues to be the turd in a candy wrapper that VNX always was. Forcing legacy archtectures to meet the needs of todays customer base is a long term losing strategy. Sure they will sell it because EMC sals teams are good at forcing shit products on their customers who are totally locked in, but if I'm Michael Dell, I would start looking for something to address the next 5 years and the shift away from solutions designed in the 80's

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: por que eXtremeIO?

I wish I could like this post more than once....

Gotta love marketing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable array, the XtremIO, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

... Well, I'd better replace it ... I got a slug

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Choice?

Not if a product is end of life, ?XtremIO, ?EqualLogic. That is forced change.

Almost as bad is moving from VNX or VNXe to Unity. No upgrade path. Throw it way.

IMO Storage companies should be better by their customers.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

VMAX250F wouldn't exist if XtremIO had the enterprise features to compete in the broader all flash market, so it plugs a data services and availability gap that XtremIO can't.

Similarly Unity being based on VNXe may have more of the baked in data services but it just doesn't have the performance to compete in the mid range Not even hitting the performance of the previous generation VNX (vvols?), which along with the Dell baggage will soon be put out to pasture.

Assuming you were shortsighted enough to opt for all of these disparate platforms just to serve block workloads then you're going to also need vPLEX to pull it all together - and yet this does actually happen :-(

5. dpk

Last time I looked, customers chose who they bought from. "Forcing shit products on customers" ? Get real.

2. Simplet0n

Flashy bits!!

Before worrying about the flashy bits maybe they could get their support site working, it really is a pile of…………

3. rugby01

Fix that 6899 - it's a 6800!

Type-o....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like