back to article FreeBSD 11.0 lands, with security fixes to FreeBSD 11.0

If you were one of the sharp-eyed users who downloaded FreeBSD 11.0 from the project's FTP servers before official release, it's time to upgrade again. The release version has landed and it's not the same as the bootleg. As Glen Barber posted at the end of September, “the final 11.0-RELEASE will be rebuilt and republished on …

1. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Happy

I think your forgot the SSD performance improvements, right ?

Netflix has spnsored a couple of improvements in storage ...

2. Notas Badoff

Why the torrent hate?

So I look all over and they just don't like torrents. FTP is good enough for anybody! Everybody who counts has great connections to suck down 2+GB 'overnight' with no troubles! Wah? Why the hate?

BTW: oh look, power cut off to home just now for a few seconds (twice) so 'net connection is strangely not continuous. _They_ have ideal lives - the rest of us are benighted blighters... How do they encourage newcomers?

OBTW: ElReg doesn't like href="ftp://..." so here's that link to images

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Why the torrent hate?

It's not just stability - I struggle to get my 10MB/s using a single source

2. kosh

You're mistaking hate for indifference.

If you have such a lousy 'net connection, why aren't you using a download manager? It'll make life much more bearable. And use a local mirror. https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

You'll find this a more productive solution than complaining on the Internet.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FTP has a resume function, provided the FTP server is set up to support it and you use a sensible client rather than just a web browser (happy to be corrected if web browsers have implemented FTP resume these days!).

5. gypsythief

How about these torrents:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Torrents

Admittedly 11 isn't there yet, but I'm sure they'll have it up soon.

*The google-fu is strong with this one...*

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/"

Take another look at that link.

Do you see a Disk1 image? That's a CD image. You can download and install from that.

Do you see an even smaller boot only image? You can download that but that means you pull down binary tarballs at install time. The tarballs are quite small, however.

The install gives you a command-line system. If you want GUIs you'll have to install xorg and, if the default window manager (TWM I think) isn't sufficient, you'll have to install the manager of your choice. Again this requires pulling down tarballs of the binaries.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
        Happy

The install gives you a command-line system. If you want GUIs

Why would you want a GUI? Real men use command line!

(All my FreeBSD VMs are for servers..)

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Go

"Do you see an even smaller boot only image? You can download that but that means you pull down binary tarballs at install time. The tarballs are quite small, however."

this is the option I prefer, for a number of reasons. The biggest reason: It's because I don't want to download anything I'm not actually going to install.

3. Ole Juul

years of FreeBSD on the desktop

No worries. I'm not impatient and always jumping on the latest and greatest, so still using 10.1 which will is supported until the end of the year. Moving to 11 will be a December project.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: years of FreeBSD on the desktop

it will probably be a while before I put FBSD 11 on my main desktop [time to upgrade everything and need for everything "now" and not "when I finally get it working again" are the 2 main reasons].

However, I need to see if my RPi patches were implemented [bug 211979]. It makes it possible to use an 'ATX Raspi' board to safely power the RPi down when you do 'poweroff'. It detects the shutdown when a 'formerly output' pin suddenly becomes an input. The problem is that in linux, this happens as expected [GPIO resets]. In FBSD, they leave them all 'as-is'. but for the RPi I added a simple kernel driver [on someone else's suggestion] that resets the GPIO pins by hooking the shutdown event at the right point. it's pretty simple, yeah. upside, it COULD become a 'port'. downside, it SHOULD be built into the existing drivers, but apparently "something else" using ARM core needs it the way it is now... so THAT hack is taking precedence for some reason.

Anyway, aside from THAT, with my patch in place RPi using FBSD 11 RC-1 worked pretty well [with some other minor nitty things]. So it looks like I'll need to download the image, now, and see what happens. When I have a spare moment, anyway...

Otherwise - YAY. It looks like it should be a welcome release. It is supposed to have 64-bit linux support available, which would make it possible to do ALL of my dev work on FBSD instead of having to have a 64-bit Linux VM to run certain things [say "android dev" which oddly requires 64-bit linux binaries, go figure...]. Then, time (and maybe money) to get it onto a workstation so i can use it. Here's hoping! And it should have mate, so I'll need to see what changes THAT makes over my "classic" gnome 2 desktop I've grown to really really like and do NOT want it pooched up by "new, shiny" thankyouverymuch. It's a 'working/get-work-done machine' not a "play with new toy" machine.

(FBSD "main working desktop" user for over a decade, only updated when I have a week's time and a spare machine, solid otherwise)

4. Martin an gof Silver badge

FreeNAS

...and FreeNAS 10 isn't even out yet. BSD10 has only recently made it into FreeNAS 9, so how long it will be before FN10 gets BSD11 is anyone's guess.

I already use FreeNAS and want to get some additional things running on the machines. Rather than learning jails, I have held off for bhyve to work properly...

...is there an alternative these days?

M.

1. John Geek

Re: FreeNAS

freenas 9.10 is based on bsd 10.3. FreeNAS 10 will have a all new UI whihc is behind schedule, so they mashed the old UI onto 10.3 underpinnings, and it works quite nicely.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FreeNAS

I used FreeNas for quite a few years, although I switched to OMV a few months back.

Mainly down to poorly managed updates, both OS level, but mostly down to the plug-ins. Where typically the core component in a plugin was massively out of date with current releases. When updates were available, and installed, it would typically break the existing Jail. Resulting in lots of command line hacking to get the Jail working again, or wiping and starting again with that specific plugin, which was often easier. (Why have an update option, if it doesn't work!).

Although the GUI didn't help either, with the same button titles in two different places on the main screen (top and left), but that did different things when pressed! It's as if someone took a look at the best-practice approaches to GUI design, and then did the exact opposite!

5. jms222

I remember an earlier FreeBSD being delayed by a whole year because it was deemed not ready.

Compare with the Linux kernel that releases every five minutes such that many sites feel it is newsworthy and fail to maintain compatibility even with minor releases.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Yes, because things like shitty USB drivers that can crash the kernel are somehow frowned upon in BSD land. Spoilsports! :-)

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

FBSD means stability

"I remember an earlier FreeBSD being delayed by a whole year because it was deemed not ready."

For the most part, I find FBSD's "a bit behind" stability better than bleeding edge. Debian's Linux distro has a similar philosophy.

6. Doctor_Wibble
    Holmes

Pre-release turns out to be pre-release quality?

I use FreeBSD for my workstation, and keep it patched etc, and yet somehow managed to resist the temptation to pre-emptively download the latest version before it was announced as being available.

Grab something before it's announced as being ready and then act all surprised when it's not actually ready? Patience, grasshopper!

As for above comments about downloading, if you are downloading something that takes more than a few minutes then use something that can cope with slowdowns, hiccups, glitches etc especially if you already know that your line is iffy unless you just want another chance to act all surprised again.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Pre-release turns out to be pre-release quality?

"I use FreeBSD for my workstation, and keep it patched etc, and yet somehow managed to resist the temptation to pre-emptively download the latest version before it was announced as being available."

I've been using 11RC3 for a new GIS workstation. It works fine.

It was a choice between that and Debian Jessie in order to get drivers for a recentish motherboard. A BSD RC vs systemd? No contest.

Yesterday brought in a shower of updates which I assume bring the RC up-to-date with the final release.

1. Doctor_Wibble

> I've been using 11RC3 for a new GIS workstation. It works fine.

Fair enough, though as a knowing user (or glutton for punishment!) you wouldn't be expressing any surprise so you are unlikely to be in the 'complainer' category.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"though as a knowing user (or glutton for punishment!)"

If I'd been a glutton for punishment I'd have gone the systemd route.

1. Doctor_Wibble

Damn it, have an upvote, that was an easy footnote I should have added!

7. bombastic bob Silver badge

plug for ghostbsd

and I'll put in a plug for GhostBSD, which is basically a "live CD" version of FreeBSD. The short answer is (as of a couple of weeks ago) "they're working on it" so I expect to see an 11-based GhostBSD at some point in the near future.

[it makes installing FBSD kinda like installing a Linux distro]

8. Len Silver badge
    Thumb Up

pfSense 2.4 was waiting on the release of FreeBSD 11

Ha, pfSense 2.4 was also waiting on the release of FreeBSD 11, looking forward to playing with both!

(2.4 pre-alpha snapshots now available: https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=2118)

9. jonfr

FreeBSD Desktop

If given the proper push, using a Desktop version of *BSD should not be a problem. I also like FreeBSD above Linux (I'm using Gentoo Linux) for many reason. The largest reason is that FreeBSD is far more stable then Gentoo Linux or any binary Linux distro that I've tested over the years.

The bugs and the general lack of stability in Linux distros is starting to annoy me. The problem I'm dealing with that the moment is lack of Desktop support in FreeBSD (or most of the BSD out on the market) and lack of multimedia support for the moment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019