back to article Russian government ponders open source purchasing preference

Russia's State Duma is currently considering a bill that would force government agencies to acquire only open source software, for reasons of national security, economic development and cost. The Bill, which after some online translation service fun we think is called “On the Specifics of procurement of proprietary (closed) …

1. P. Lee

And if Putin *really* feels like annoying the West

He could comply with the GPL1 and release the enhancements they Russians make back into the community.

1Other open source licenses are available

1. Donchik

Re: And if Putin *really* feels like annoying the West

Kind of concerned about what "Dobby the Dictator" would consider an enhancement...

Any suggestions?

1. jack113

You would have to ask Canadian Cruz that one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

"Any suggestions?"

Money and code. Duh! No more troubling to keep an eye on than what NSA, NIST NSA, and friends, presently contribute and specify. "Help welcome."

re. P. Lee

Absolutely! A small (to any nation - vanishingly tiny compared to the river of roubles presently pouring into the coffers of the Mircosoft, IBM, Oracle, Fujitsu, Intel, et al. corporations), steady contribution of revenue/labour to the "upstream" projects (not Redhat Inc) would do so much to nourish and emancipate the entire FOSS ecosystem that it'd do a hell of a lot more than annoy "the west."

Is Czarist Marxist Stalinist Communist Putinist Russia really so desperate to NOT do anything which could "help" other nations, it'd rather sit back and watch the rest of the world pwned by the United States of fucking NSA? Cutting off your nose to spite your face, Shirley?

Or does corruption really Trump all... even expediency?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

This has nothing to do with the GPL. Russian programmers have for years actively contributed to open source projects. Indeed in the Postgres world there's a group of them collectively known as "the Russians".

Just dropping MS Office, Outlook, Exchange and IBM will be sufficient. Worse still if they can demonstrate cost savings with no loss of productivity with the replacements.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And if Putin *really* feels like annoying the West

.. he could invite Stallman and give him a medal, and ignore Linus. The resulting division would fill tech forums and mailing lists for years to come :)

Yes, I'm an evil man. Why?

As for code quality, I prefer people from that region because they don't just know how to code, they also know how to make it efficient. It's an ironic side effect of the US preventing them from having more advanced technology: instead of doing the lazy Microsoft thing (which just takes it for granted that computing power will eventually catch up and forcing people to upgrade), they became a lot smarter with squeezing the last erg of power out what they have. And no, I'm not going to use the space pen/pencil myth as argument :).

5. jake Silver badge

I don't follow your logic, P.Lee ... how on Earth would that annoy the West?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't follow your logic, P.Lee ... how on Earth would that annoy the West?

Because that would be annoyingly beneficial to end users and small businesses and remove income from the big boys who need that money to buy the laws they need to make even more money.

Or, put another way, it would annoyingly prove that the whole communist collective thing does occasionally have one over on naked capitalism, which would verily piss off people in Washington & their friends.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not to mention helping displace NSA's Microsoft's & IBM's software from IT infrastructure.

Surely you can see how that would "annoy" the five eyes "west"?

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Stating the Bleeding Obvious to the Wilfully Oblivious ....... or Delusionally Devious v2.0?

Isn't Brexit something similar, in another Paralleling Power Play GIG....... Greater IntelAIgent Game? And if not, should it be so ..... in order [not] to be one of those new fangled and entangling too big to fail in a series of crashes enterprises/alien memes?

The requisite smarts and SMARTR Virtual AIMachines are certainly available for hire purchase/lend lease to make it with Pirated Private Media and IT Command and Control of Computers and Communications, a successful novel reality, and their payment for future actions realised to present a fabulous path to future heavenly spaces, or hellish places is that is your earnest desire and deserved just dessert, is the only easy effortless way to remotely control them and influence the courses and manners of their direction.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Stating the Bleeding Obvious to the Wilfully Oblivious ....... or Delusionally Devious v2.0?

And I ponder and wonder at all of that being an exciting attack vector and erotic weapons system, against which there is practically zero effective defence. And that would make it quite priceless and extremely expensive to counteract.

Hmmm ..... Time to explore a valuable market and to discover a suitable client for enrichment.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Nothing to See Here for You ...... Move On Please.:-)

00ps. On further consideration and reflection, does such a product/project/program for valuable markets naturally attract search for discovery of enlightened clients for enrichment.

I wonder if that would be to some a conspiracy in the making in the field of super sensitive internets networking/Quantum Communications?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The less money spent on software...

.... the more money Russian politicians can move to Switzerland. It's that simple.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a "preference" or requirement?

The title of the article doesn't seem to match the content, and since I can't read Russian I can't go to the source. The difference between a purchasing 'preference' and a requirement is massive.

5. pidloop

Been there

Didn't Germany try the same thing and finally gave up?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like