back to article Level 3 goes to Level 0 for American VoIP peeps

Backbone carrier Level 3 says it is investigating the cause of an outage that took out its services in North America. A spokesperson for the network provider told El Reg that the issue was resolved by 8:30am US Pacific time. The problems largely affected Level 3 VoIP and phone services in the East Coast and Midwest regions. A …

1. EvilGardenGnome
    Headmaster

Not that small

Okay, so your phrasing, "for much of the US and Canada," is a little off. A part of the GTA and a small portion of south western Ontario decidedly does not represent "much of [...] Canada".

Even if you're being liberal with the phrasing, that area represents less than 10% of the population, and a very tiny percentage of the landmass.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"That's odd, ..."

Wasn't Level3 trying to map out those devices involved in the Krebsonsecurity.com and OVH DDoS attacks?

3. tr1ck5t3r
    Trollface

Dare I propose a GIF day aka a Global Internet Free day?

One of the OVH data centres in France over Xmas was hacking me, I traced it back into France where I was promptly attacked by botnets from the US on Level 3 and a few other carriers funnily enough. Coincidence?

1. Phil Koenig

Yes, coincidence.

Given that OVH is one of the very largest hosting providers in the world (especially free or cheap hosting, thus they have more than their share of miscreants as customers), and given that Level3 operates one of the very largest "Tier one" transit networks in the world - statistical probability suggests that yes, it was probably a coincidence.

4. Herby

Makes me thankful for...

A nice wired telephone line that goes into the nice reliable, proven, switch that emits dial tone.

None of this fancy VoIP stuff (he says, having a couple of them anyway).

5. StillGridlocked

I've always thought T-Mobile would buy them out so they could have their own worldwide fiber net, I guess wholesale rates make Level 3 an unenviable take over candidate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

L3 is bigger than T mobile. the only person that has more fiber in the ground is ATT

1. StillGridlocked

TMUS, nothing to do with D Telekom, has more than twice the market value of L3.

I just think L3 is an attractive takeover candidate because as you say their network is so big -even metro area fiber and its undervalued.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like