back to article Microsoft Azure sets up shop in France

Microsoft is to open "multiple" data centres in France next year as part of its $3bn (£2.6bn) cloudy investment in Europe. Chief exec Satya Nadella said the Windows giant has more than doubled its cloud capacity in Europe in the past year. Last month Microsoft opened shop in Blighty with three data centre locations in London, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How appropriate as the French are known for building rubbish cars that break down a lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"How appropriate as the French are known for building rubbish cars that break down a lot."

Presumably why they got the Americans in for this....

2. Dr_N Silver badge

How appropriate as Anonymous Cowards are known for posting rubbish comments that don't stand up to much scrutiny.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dr_n,

Ever owned a French car and used O365 O325 ?

I rest my case.

They even say it in France, If you buy a Renault, don't sell your bicycle

1. Dr_N Silver badge

"Ever owned a French car and used O365 O325 ?"

I've stayed in some right toilets that call themselves "hotels" in the England hence why UK broadband internet is so ****.

Oh, no. Sorry those are totally unrelated things. My bad.

Back in your Daily Mail box, AC.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Dr_N,

I read The Scotsman, don't ever call me f*****g English again !

1. Dr_N Silver badge

"I read The Scotsman, don't ever call me f*****g English again !"

Who called you English, AC?

Do you have a problem with understanding English? Maybe you read the Express? That could explain your comprehension problem. And this weird thought process of conflating entirely disparate topics? If you are the original AC poster having a pop at the French for no reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Seems your comprehension is somewhat lacking, The Scotsman is a newspaper or was that a bit too subtle for you ?

You don't appear to understand a comparative either.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Frecnh cars

I have a ten year old Citroen with 150,000 miles on the clock with zero breaksdowns and I reckon it may last another 5-10 years. You must be a Brexshitter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Frecnh cars

>You must be a Brexshitter.

Seems I've upset a few souped up Saxo owners.

I voted yes in Scottish and no in the EU ;)

I've a 2016 BMW with 5000 on the clock, you know it makes sense to buy German as long as it's not a VW.

1. Dr_N Silver badge

"I've a 2016 BMW with 5000 on the clock"

Figures.

Is it a 216d Active Tourer? Sadly that impresses no one, so back in your box like a good chap.

(BTW the indicators are the left hand stalk, try using them. Up: Right, Down: Left You'll get the hang of it eventually.)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> (BTW the indicators are the left hand stalk, try using them. Up: Right, Down: Left You'll get the hang of it eventually.)

Such bitter envy, the accelerator in your Prius is the peddle on the right.

1. Dr_N Silver badge

"Such bitter envy, the accelerator in your Prius is the peddle on the right."

Bzzzzt. Wrong answer hotshot!

Wanna go two outta three?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crock d'Azure?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shirley you mean Marron d'Azur.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. David Neil

UK and French presence?

Do they run these Datacentres via local third party, as they do with the German ones, or are they still subject to US over-reach?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UK and French presence?

"Do they run these Datacentres via local third party, as they do with the German ones, or are they still subject to US over-reach?"

In general it makes no difference who runs the datacentre. All sensitive data and data in transit is encrypted. Access to data requires someone to authorise it within Microsoft, or otherwise to gain access to the relevant credentials (for instance the end user permits it).

Microsoft have implemented this so that say access to European data from the USA can be blocked by design. i.e. someone actually in a EU jurisdiction has to give someone in the USA the EU data, even if there is a US court order. Data can also be placed out of even Microsoft's reach - see for instance https://www.thales-esecurity.com/msrms/cloud

When you look at the recent court case they are fighting you can understand why they might have done this and therefore why security sensitive customers like the MOD might be willing to use them...

4. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Facepalm

>The Ministry of Defence was one of the first customers to sign up, announcing it would use Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Azure cloud services.

cf icon

What possibly could go wrong ?

Azure goes TITSUP, Windows for Warships attempts to download mission plan, notices service outages, AI (ain't it all these days) decides must be the russskies, let's retaliate!

1. boltar Silver badge

"What possibly could go wrong ?"

The MoD are the same clowns who sent our soldiers out in unarmoured land rovers in Iraq, gave them guns that often jammed, boots that gave them sores and skimped on kit to the point where solders often ended up buying their own. If you want to find out how to do something properly , see what the MoD do then do the exact opposite.

1. Voyna i Mor Silver badge

"The MoD are the same clowns"

Not clowns - clowns are genuinely scary and not at all funny.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

MOD-PE not just MOD

MOD Procurement Executive (or Pisses Everywhere) are the jerks responsible for the jamming gun, boots and every other bit of kit used by the Services.

They could not organise a piss up in a brewery. All they are interested in is screwing suppliers out of all profit. I've overheard to MOD PE people discussing how they could screw down the price of a bit of kit costing £2000 so that the suppliers only made £10 per unit.

Don't need to say more here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a serious point here

We have heard a lot over the last few weeks about how important US investment is within the UK. Only this morning the Prime Minister made the point that 1m people wake up and go to work for US firms. Yesterday Karen Bradley, in her scant reference to digital in her conference speech, name-checked Microsoft, AWS and Apple. What of the 30m who don't work for a US firm? What of the UK's own digital economy? The Reg is right. UK hosting providers are under threat, and ought to be as key to the UK's digital economy as any other technology company. Government appears to be hell-bent on creating a new oligopoly - and not a particularly open one, either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019