back to article D-Link DWR-932 B owner? Trash it, says security bug-hunter

If you've got a D-Link DWR-932 B LTE router, you might want to fire it into the sun – or hope that a firmware upgrade lands soon. Following the consumer broadband industry's consistently lackadaisical attitude to security, the device suffers from everything from backdoor accounts to default credentials, leaky credentials, …

1. Smitty Werben Jueger Man Jenson

It's like Poe's law of security

You just can't tell if they are doing this on purpose or not.

2. Christian Berger

That's why it's vital to be able to run your own firware on everything you own

I mean with OpenWRT or something it surely wouldn't have those security holes.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: That's why it's vital to be able to run your own firware on everything you own

>able to run your own firware

So as to not pine for the fjords?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

really taking the piss

The amount of vulns and their nature could easily be seen as malvolence,

here ...

srand(time(0)), seriously ???? admin:admin, really ? other hardcoded accounts/backdoors ? in 2016 ?

Upnp, I wouldn't care since noone concerned by security uses it anyway ...

It's time to pass some laws ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: really taking the piss

Don't assign to malevolence what could be assigned to plain laziness, incompetence, and greed. There is much more of the latter than the former. I fight every day with developers who don't like to code the proper way because it requires more effort (and need to learn...), and managers who want everything done without spending a dime, and prefer cheap devs to skilled ones.

1. scubaal

and as a newly appointed IT manager to an education network I found 50 domain admins (all of whom had no idea they were) because 'it fixed the problems they were having'........cuts down support calls (at least for a while)

2. Peter 26

I completely agree. Until we outlaw this incompetence it will carry on. At minimum no hardcoded credentials or other backdoors should be allowed in consumer devices. That should be a fine.

1. Jon Gibbins
        Childcatcher

"That should be a fine."

A great idea as long as the fine is more than the amount of profit made ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like