back to article Microsoft lets Beijing fondle its bits in new source code audit hub

Microsoft has opened a technology centre in China to reassure Beijing it does not have backdoors in its software. The so-called Transparency Centre is the third Redmond has opened to reassure governments that Microsoft's wares are secure. Redmond's trustworthy computing corporate veep Scott Charney says the centre will allow …

1. Esme

Yeah but

It's WIndows itself that is the backdoor, these days.

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Re: Yeah but

Given the amount of telemetry that can be sent home to the mothership, I suspect you are right. There is the possibility that the telemetry will be or is shut down/blocked on the Chinese version.

2. MrDamage

National Security

Remember when Microsoft said that publishing the source code of Windows would compromise the security of the USA?

And now they're handing it out to all manner of *cough* "trustworthy" governments?

And they wonder why people are trusting them less a less each day.

1. Hans 1 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: National Security

Actually, it is a good thing, as such, and they should open it to the world.

Problem is that the whole design of Windows is security through obscurity. Besides, Windows is one humongous monolithic hay stack ... how they are supposed to make sense of that lump is beyond me, I mean, even Redmond dev's with 10+ years of experience cannot make sense of it ...

1. DougS Silver badge

The only way it would be true that releasing source code would compromise national security would be if Windows had a built in backdoor. There were rumors about that (remember the NSAKEY furor?) but obviously if they knew they would be releasing source code they would remove or do some heroic obfuscation to that backdoor.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

MS = Market Share.

Questions?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course it's clean. The update, however ..

I wonder just how much Microsoft had to, err, "sponsor" people to get its software even considered for use, because the rate at which they NEED patching means that the Chinese have to choose between "backdoor free but hackable" and "no idea but it patched at least this latest problem".

On the plus side, it will indeed provide employment for many. At the rate their software needs patching you probably need something the size of FOXCONN with software engineers just to keep up..

4. Lamb0
    Trollface

Trust Me

Of course Microsoft's warez are safe...Big Brother knows where all the back doors are, and has a copies of the keys shared with his siblings. It's all in the family! What could go wrong?

5. Aodhhan

The Chinese

They aren't as worried about back doors as they are other things. For instance, The Chinese, like other governments do most of their classified work on non-public connecting networks. So they aren't too worried here. However, due to their tireless efforts hacking into corporate and other government systems, they may be more concerned something is coded in Windows allowing the US government to trace malicious packets back to them, to identify them definitively when they commit such acts.

...not that US Intel agencies really need this technology }:>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019