back to article Fleeing Snowden hid among Hong Kong's refugees

Whistleblower Edward Snowden hid in cramped squalor among the refugees of Hong Kong to evade the US Government. The National Post reveals in interviews with Snowden's lawyers that the former National Security Agency contractor was hidden in the homes of multiple Hong-Kong-based refugees, moving only at night when he could be …

1. AndyS

> Barrister Robert Tibbo, with minutes to spare before the US Government and media arrived, contacted some of his 70 Hong Kong refugee clients to have Snowden hidden.

What, you mean the US hadn't already tapped his phone? Poor show. So much for a world-wide spying network...!

1. Marketing Hack Silver badge
      Big Brother

@andys

The NSA was too busy trying to discern Angela Merkel's cellphone conversations and looking at image extracts from Yahoo! video chats between couples trying to spice up long-distance relationships.

2. leaway2

“Nobody would dream that a man of such high profile would be placed among the most reviled people in Hong Kong,”

But he no longer works for the CIA.

3. DocJames

Foolish...

...to discuss this. The US remains pissed at Snowden, and I wouldn't be surprised if those mentioned will now be subjected to additional hassles.

A story simply to make a lawyer feel big and important. "Snowden didn't escape on luxury liner to 5 star hotels" isn't a surprise.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this information

interesting not is

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonderful irony ..

.. to point people at a page full of trackers (10 according to Ghostery, uBlock counts 15) :).

I agree with other commentards that there is a risk that this article endangers the people who helped him, so I hope they thought of that, and the fact they have essential burned safe houses with that disclosure.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aaaand here we go..

I would really, really like like to know why it was necessary to identify the people who helped Snowden. Shortage of Snowden in the news? Ego trip marketing for the local lawyer? Making sure the Snowden movie sells well?

In any case, the inevitable happened - now this has gone public, these people are actively in danger.

So, thank you very much Mr Lawyer for Snowden - that will certainly help your next customers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019