back to article What wedding cake would an engineer make? A LEGO one

Romance isn’t dead. Just ask a Reg-reading engineer who made his own wedding cake... from Lego. Dan M approached his nuptials with sweetheart Rach in the way you’d expect any hard-nosed kick-ass uber-genius to. “When I proposed to my (now wife) in January she started to plan everything in detail, asking for my opinion about …

1. frank ly

Excellent!

That was a very well produced video and a marvellous 'cake'. I'm sure she loved it and I'm wondering if the top is in the fridge waiting for their anniversary.

1. Black Rat
      Happy

Re: Excellent!

Dam good idea! Ours has been entombed in ice at the back of the freezer for a decade.

My wife also keeps all the emails & texts we sent whilst courting on a 250Mb thumb drive wrapped with a red ribbon in the bottom of her jewellery box.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Hope it's encrypted, given that such messages are not usually as innocent today as they once were when written on paper ;-)

2. Trilkhai

You should make backups for her on a CD & 2.5" HD as a gift — as I discovered the hard way several years ago, thumbdrives can go glitchy (or be disrupted) without warning, and (unlike on HDs/CDs) getting the data back in those cases is seemingly near-impossible.

2. brotherelf

It has a weird feel to me, but maybe that is because I have a (knockoff) Glow-Bowl, so light-changing LEDs are forever spoiled.

Mazel tov to the nerdy couple nonetheless!

3. caffeine addict

Here's hoping the guests all raised JIRA tickets for that dark patch on the glowing level. That sort of this should never have got out of QA. ;)

4. Putters

Remember a friends missus commenting (in their early days) that she realised what it meant to be involved with an engineer when her Valentine's Day gift came lovingly wrapped, but the wrapping taped up with insulating tape.

1. Simon Harris

At least she didn't marry a theatre stage manager - her present would have been wrapped in gaffer tape and she'd still be trying to get into it.

1. caffeine addict

I'm just sad I'm too young to have promised to get my (now) wife a token ring...

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
          Thumb Up

If you'd ever met someone who designed Token Ring interfaces, you'd consider yourself fortunate to have missed it.

The Devil's own networking technology, it was, and I'm glad to see the end of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Big Brother

As someone who wrote a token ring parser for a network monitor (LANWatch), I thought token ring was a cool technology. The hard part was tracking down the specification (in the days before you could buy everything online). After a bunch of phone calls, I eventually found you could buy it from one of IBM's Librarians.

2. Roq D. Kasba

Hmmm does the opacity of this tape affect its adhesion? No? Job done.

5. magickmark
    Thumb Up

Brilliant

That is All

6. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

Well thats one way...

Of bricking it for the big day.....

7. Stoneshop
    Coat

We’ve asked Dan what his wife made of the cake

A boat? An airplane? A train?

8. Brian Miller

But it's supposed to be edible!

He should have made it out of edible flavored gelatin: robotic tentacle cake! Make tentacle molds, pour in edible gelatin, Raspberry Pi for the controller, then you'd have a Cthulhu cake with candy jaws and ...

OK, so the guests are supposed to eat the cake, and not the other way around. Picky!

9. hi_robb

Hmm

I thought this would end in tiers...

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Hmm

Saw an advert, in the days of post-cards in the newsagents' windows: For sale, wedding cake, unused at the last minute. Two tiers...

Never did work out whether the pun was intentional.

10. Martin Summers Silver badge

Good...

... But this guy did the LEGO/Marriage thing better:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37188479

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon