back to article Polish developer hacks Android rewards app for free beer

A cunning Polish developer has hacked an Android food and drink rewards app to grant himself unlimited free beer. Kuba Gretzky detailed his excellent exploits in a blog post on Breakdev – though, to deter copycats, he didn't name the rewards app or the precise location within Poland where it was operating. He did, however, …

1. Baldy50

Beer!

Well personally I think he deserves one!

1. matchbx
      Pint

Re: Beer!

sorry, but you are wrong...

He should be obligated to provide a round for everyone else....

2. Danny 2
    Pint

Olympian

I read German gold medal winners at the Olympics get free beer for life, which must work against them winning at the following Olympics.

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: free beer for life

Why would you need to win more than once?

1. maffski

Re: free beer for life

Well, some of believe in reincarnation.

3. Sgt_Oddball

Only yesterday...

I got free beer via e-mail (did involve a drive around but it was for Brewdog beer so worth more than the fuel).

4. davidp231
    Pint

Sounds just like something BOFH and PFY would do.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I once

Worked for a popular brewery. You'd be three sheets t'wind before you got anything done.

1. Triggerfish

Re: I once

I once worked for a bunch of Irish guys (I know stereotypes) who often would come over here to our site, the owner considered himself an accountants accountant, and it was expenses all the way and trips to the UK were an excuse for him to have a few on company money, meetings where often slightly sozzled.

When I left I spent so much time with them in pubs, that in my next job I tripped over, and first thing that came out of my mouth was Feck.

2. Barry Rueger

Re: I once

Northern Brewery in Sudbury, Ontario was I believe worker owned back in the 90s.

Brewery tours included ample free samples, but best of all the actual tour was conducted by a random factory employee - much more entertaining than a real tour guide!

6. Handy Andy
    Pint

I used to work for a brewery, we used to go 'testing' (on expenses) on a dinner time. then sit in the office giggling all afternoon. And we got beer allowance each month...

7. Chris King
    Coat

Handing drunks the keys to the brewery, digital style !

Mine's the one with the phone full of virtual beer tokens...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't manipulating a rewards app to get 'free' beer actually fraud?

1. Mark 85
      Pint

Yeah.. but that's not the point. Insecure software is the point. Have beer and chill out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The first generation McDonalds app in the UK used to offer freebies from time to time - a coffee, an ice cream etc. Sorry, a McCoffee or a McIceCream. Anyway, it would clearly store the fact you'd redeemed it within the app itself and the second time you tried, would just say no.

Apparently, the app devs had never read the docs around "Clear App Data" in Android, which would grant you another freebie. Didn't pay for coffee for weeks.

1. Oengus

You mean that you actually drink McCoffee?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like