back to article Swiss firm still wants to eat up Pi flogger Premier Farnell

Swiss components distributor Dätwyler is still interesting in acquiring mega electronics distie Premier Farnell, despite their last offer being trumped by a later (and larger) one from Avnet. In its bolshy take on the first half of this year's finances, Datwyler boasted that its net revenue was increasing - though only when …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Sounds ominous

while engaging with engineers earlier in the design cycle

Earlier than after a marketdroid announcement has been issued??

Yeah, I know that soundbite has been generated by the "PubCannounce Salespitcher" web-based application which serializes standard marketing cant soundbites into a phrase that's nearly-grammatically-correct, but still.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Bye Bye Farnell

It was nice knowing you (mostly).

3. Cursorkeys
    Mushroom

FFS, Farnell is a major UK electronic component distributor.

It's like saying Waitrose is a 'pork pie distie'. True but a miniscule part of their business.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Are you new here? "Biting the hand that feed IT! :-)

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Sir Alien

Rather the Swiss than the alternative

I would rather the Swiss buy them than the Americans who are likely to just gut it for a fast buck to appeal to their shareholders.

Shareholders should seek investment safety in my opinion rather than that fast buck.

6. TheDillinquent
    FAIL

They need a kick up the arse...

I like Farnell, but I do wonder how they stay afloat. These days they are web based and have a massive range but trying to find stuff on the website is a complete nightmare as their search engine is stuck in the '80s and there is so much irrelevant junk and discontinued product in the search results (if any results are returned at all) that I often don't have the time to sift through it all and end up going to RS in stead. Oh and the product tagging seems to have been done by Golgafrinchan Telephone Sanitisers,definitely not by anyone familiar with electronics or associated disciplines.

And then there are the weekly full colour mini-catalogues that cross my desk on the way to the bin.

No doubt the Swiss and the septics have noticed this too and spotted easy ways to increase turnover and cut costs that seem to have eluded Farnell's own senior management. Although as Sir Alien has pointed out the septics probably have a quite different agenda.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like