back to article .security .TLD .launches

Infosec-related top level domains .security and .protection are up for sale with large vendors already moving in. FireEye, Symantec, Microsoft, and IBM have all bought space with the first-mentioned buying .security and .protection domains for FireEye and Mandiant products. Symantec shelled out for office365.protection and IBM …

1. Mark 85 Silver badge
    Pirate

I wonder how soon the scammers and malware slingers will move in? Perhaps "MicrosoftTechSupportYouHaveAVirus.protection" will magically appear so we don't get phone calls...?

Ok.. but seriously.. what assurance is there that anything there will be legit?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Zero.

What guarantee is there that .com is an international company, .co.uk is a British one, .org is a non-profit organisation? Zero. (The only exceptions I can think of are .police.uk, .museum.uk and possibly the almost-entirely-unused .ltd.uk - even .gov.uk is full of junk)

All the TLD's are a waste of time, because it's first-come, first-served and anyone from any country can take them. So you can be pipped to the post to them by, quite literally, anyone in the world with the vaguest resemblance of a right to the name. Pharmaceutical companies threw a fit over their TLDs because of this.

In a world where we can't even agree who owns the Scrabble or Monopoly games, and things get accidentally released in the wrong regions, revoked, and you can't buy a particular game because it's "not the EU version", you have no hope in hell of limiting a TLD like this.

Proven by Symantec being the ones to snap up "office365.protection".

2. Lysenko

info.security

^^^ I'm getting a price of £1695.50 (ex VAT) for that. Still stupid money of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I've tried going to a .protection website...

...my browser hung, CPU went to 100% and then finally the PC blue screened.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: I've tried going to a .protection website...

So it's working then - you're totally secure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019