back to article Mickey Mouse Club had Mickey Mouse security: Disney's Playdom forum pours out passwords

The latest forum to leak, Disney's Playdom, was running the vBulletin forumware already known to have leaked big back in June. On Friday, Disney announced it had taken the forum offline after discovering someone had accessed usernames, passwords, e-mail addresses, and logged IP addresses for playdomforums.com accounts. Its …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Unhappy

Oh, good ...

THE HEADLINE JUST WRITES ITSELF!

I don't know why I am in this Kafkaesque version of a 21st century, things looked so positive as seen from the early 90s...

Where did we fuck up?

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Re: Oh, good ...

Where did we fuck up?

We let lawyers, accountants, and manglement tell us how to do security. Come to think of it.... those 3 groups are responsible for a lot of wrong things.

1. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

Didn't Shakespeare say; "First, let's shot the lawyers"? Or the Three Stooges of business: shysters, bean counters, and (mis)management.

1. BillG
          Go

Mickey Mouse Club had Mickey Mouse Security!

Whenever I've installed forum software I've always gone though the code and implemented my own security. It's simple, there are certain query strings that are permitted, and so I check for valid fields. IOW all query strings are formatted as ?FIELD=value. I make sure the FIELD is one that is allowable.

If my code sees an attempt like ?USERNAME=<value>, I ban their IP address the first time. No second chances. If the field is USERNAME, PASSWORD, or if there are too many percent signs % in the URL, I ban them.

Never installed vBulletin, for good reason.

2. Alumoi

You forgot the politicians. Oh, wait, they're 3 in 1: lawyers doing accounting from a management position.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am in a world of shit

Boys and girls from far and near you're as welcome as can be.

M. I. C. K. E. Y. M. O. U. S. E

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?

M. I. C. K. E. Y. M. O. U. S. E

1. Magani
        Stop

Stop reliving my youth!

(and where is Annette and Jimmy and...?)

2. Teiwaz Silver badge

I remember the Tv show too. It was #2* on my list of annoying unwatchable excrement by the time I was 8.

*Just after 'Why Don't You'. (and if it was after 'Why Don't You', it was a really bad telly day - no VHS back then either).

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who *is* that fat bastard?

Who's the leader of the gang that's great for you and me?

A. L. E. X. E. I. S. A. Y. L. E.

Who's an ugly bastard and as fat as he can be?

Alexei Sayle, Alexei Sayle.

We like to hear him swear on the TV,

Hee hee hee, hee hee hee.

Everybody give three cheers,

Except the BBC,

Alexei Sayle, Alexei Sayle.....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I spend to much time on the internet.....

..when I saw "Disney's Playdom" I just thought of princess themed dungeon with a dominatrix dress as Elsa from Frozen.

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Re: I spend to much time on the internet.....

"..when I saw "Disney's Playdom" I just thought of princess themed dungeon with a dominatrix dress as Elsa from Frozen."

- Disappointed? Thankfully, several Deviant Artists have already knocked up a few attempts on the concept (I'm actually only surprised there aren't more). No links 'cause definitely NSFW.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: I spend to much time on the internet.....

My first thought on seeing Playdom was those "fun, tickler" condoms you see in vending machines. A Disney Playdom I visualised has having a pair of mouse ears on it.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

How secure is phpBB? Never heard of any haxx0r activities targeting phpBB - seems they all love to single out vBulletin...

4. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

Mickey Mouse need a new dominatrix to secure them thar purdy passwords!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020