back to article Salesforce slurps uptime startup Coolan for global infrastructure scale-out

Salesforce.com has acquired a startup called Coolan that builds tools “to track and analyze infrastructure reliability for increased uptime and optimized efficiency.” Coolan co-founder Amir Micahel revealed the deal, saying it was done so that his company can “help Salesforce optimize its infrastructure as it scales to support …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Though shall not question the gospel of Californication

The useless shopping frenzy gulping startups for reason or no reason shall not be questioned. It is the gospel of the valley, same as the utter inability of all of the mastodonts that gulp 'em to come up with anything new and innovative.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Once upon a time, companies were created to make a product and sell it

It seems that, nowadays, companies are created to be bought by other companies. Is anyone still interested in actually running a company ?

I think it's a shame that this startup got bought - it had an interesting idea. Now that idea is folded into Salesforce, which means that not many people will benefit from whatever it was because Salesforce is not likely to develop the idea and open-source it.

And I also wonder how Salesforce is going to advance on infrastructure management when AWS is tasked for that job. On the other hand, Salesforce now has a great development environment - entire warehouses of kit that will be shut down after the switch. So maybe it is a good thing and we will see some progress on the matter of data loss in distributed environments.

3. David Roberts
    Joke

Inspired reuse?

Perhaps they are developing a cloud offering utilising redundant data centres?

I think I'm joking, but.... ->

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Why Salesforce needs this stuff when it's outsourced to AWS is anyone's guess"

Well, my guess is that Salesforce was at risk of actually turning a profit. They are not used to that, so the mere prospect freaks them out. So money had to be spent.

5. SeymourHolz

Really?

Is it really so hard to imagine how a massive subscriber of AWS cloud services would be interested in acquiring a mature toolset "to track and analyze infrastructure reliability for increased uptime and optimized efficiency"?

Independent measurement of the quality of AWS services as-delivered is massively important to salesforce.com; they not only want to ensure that services are being delivered as-promised, but they also need empirical data to support negotiation of better SLO/SLA parameters.

People who have bank accounts still maintain their own transaction journal to reconcile against the reports sent by the bank and support financial analysis that goes beyond the parameters documented by bank records.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like