back to article Samsung spills beans on mystery username, password emails to devs

Weird emails from Samsung to third-party developers containing usernames and passwords had some worried that the chaebol had been hacked. But the electronics giant says it's nothing to worry about. Earlier in the week, several Reg readers got in touch after they each received an email from Sammy titled "Your Login Information …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Behind you

"After all, there isn't a programmer alive who hasn't pressed a button, or typed a command,"

Behind every great DevOps (*) there is a sysadmin rolling their eyes ...

Cheers

Jon

(*) Wiping their arse with a copy of the ISO9000/27000/ITIL/PlaySchool manual

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Behind you

And in one fell swoop was the line crossed, that fine line between realms of DevOps and DevOops.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@gerdesj : Amen!

Sorry I can't give you more than one up vote.

1. Fatman

Re: @gerdesj : Amen!

I gave him one in your name.

3. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Are you sure ?

"... that instant "oh, nooo" moment ..."

Yes - Been there, done that, recreated the database table...

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Are you sure ?

That "Noooooo" moment got me a new workflow of writing all DELETE...FROM as SELECT... FROM first, then only changing to DELETE when I'd checked the WHERE was correct (or indeed present!)

1. bpfh

I did the same.... Then I started thinking with transactions! Or backing up critical tables! (Can't always be done I agree...)

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Yep, the 'select from' -> 'delete from' shuffle here too.

Also any shell scripts get an 'echo' prefix on any action lines while developing.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, as long as it's just a cock-up and not a flamingo-up ...

5. Roq D. Kasba

Yes! For smaller edits I took to BEGIN TRANS then whilst in context either ROLLBACK or COMMIT TRANS. Not always practical, but seeing as there's no UNDO DELETE syntax, was stuck with it ;-)

1. Electron Shepherd

More commands needed

Yes, SQL definitely needs a 'PUT BACK' command for when you delete the wrong data.

I have found myself wishing for a 'PICKUP TABLE' command, shortly after I dropped the wrong one...

1. Down not across

Re: More commands needed

Yes, SQL definitely needs a 'PUT BACK' command for when you delete the wrong data.

I have found myself wishing for a 'PICKUP TABLE' command, shortly after I dropped the wrong one...

If you're unfortunate enough to have to suffer Oracle (10g1 or later) there are various flashback options (flashback query, flashback table or flashback database (and recycle bin functionality if you really must)) that would help in that situation.

1 Yes there was DBMS_FLASHBACK in 9i but I'm not going there...

6. Electron Shepherd

An accident? Who really pressed the button?

If only there was some way that those at Samsung responsible for marketing the new developer program could get the technical press to report on it, and maybe even include a link to the new site in the article they write.

It's a real shame they couldn't think of anything...

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Is there some magic difference between.....

Developing apps for Samsung Android and other (possibly) inferior Androids?

If not then what is so special about the Samsung developer program? Do they give you a free Galaxy Edge?

It would be nice to know.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Is there some magic difference between.....

"If not then what is so special about the Samsung developer program? Do they give you a free Galaxy Edge?"

Following the supplied link to the Samsung dev site, it appears they support developers for Galaxy, Gear (wearables), Z (Tizen) and Smart TVs, so no not just generic android phones.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you know my password, its not secure. If you know a salted hash of my password, I smile upon you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like