back to article Chef Automate: Firm's DevOps odds 'n' sods crammed into one parcel

Chef has announced Automate, a new product which incorporates all its main DevOps tools into one bundle. The announcement was made at the company's ChefConf event currently under way in Austin, Texas. Chef Automate is essentially a bundle of several existing products – Chef, Chef Delivery, InSpec and Habitat – with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks to you

If I ever meet somebody that states they work in Dev ops, I am most likely going to assault them with the contents of whatever I am drinking.

I don't really care what dev ops is, nor care to find out, Just that I vehemently dislike it now ......

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Thanks to you

@AC

The Vulture knows who you are...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks to you

My experience of DevOps is that they are generally rather poor at the development side of things, and spectacularly incompetent at operations. A simple mantra from the ops side of things might be to measure what is useful, not measure what your snazzy graphical tools restrict you to. And of course, please to remember to analyse/report in real time what is measured - there's not a whole lot of point coming back several days/weeks after a catastrophic event and saying "Oh yes, deary me, bless my soul, it does appear that we had a deviation from the norm: we'll raise a ticket to investigate in the next sprint".

I'm not saying all DevOps are the same, just the ones I've had the inconvenience to work with.

2. Simon Ward

"The company has also announced a new Chef certification program for both developers and IT administrators"

Yay! Just what the world needs right now - yet another pointless certification.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Chef Automate

Half baked and underdone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019