back to article Now Intel swings axe at sales, marketing peeps

Intel has turned its axe on sales and marketing staff as part of its ongoing workforce decimation. In April, Chipzilla announced it will lay off 12,000 employees worldwide – roughly one in ten of its 107,000 staffers – over the coming months as it weans itself off the dwindling desktop computer market. People working on doomed …

1. Ted's Toy

History is a hard teacher

With 4 main (The 4 main PC Makers) customers who are all suffering a sales decline of catastrophic proportions and are loaded to the hilt with unsold stock CPU's etc. Also an unhealthy reliance on one software maker the old adage of putting all your eggs in one basket rings true.

A history of somewhat unethical practices is also an unwanted burden when looking for newer customers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well if its anything like what's going on at the actual fabs (they've lost too many experienced people, they're having to shift people around between Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon and California because a lot of technicians, QA people and engineers took early retirement if they could and others that didn't are quitting) they're going to wind up outsourcing.

I will say this, I wouldn't buy Intel anything for a couple of years if I could at all avoid it until they figure out what they're doing. AMD, ARM, Samsung and TSMC need to capitalize on Intel's weakness while they can, AMD is well positioned with Zen and Polaris so I hope to see some traction there.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"AMD is well positioned with Zen and Polaris so I hope to see some traction there."

Since Zen is unreleased we don't know whether it'll deliver. Zen has been hyped up for some time but for the last several years AMD has seriously under-performed on the CPU side. High power usage and low performance (comparable with e.g. Core i3) may not matter with consumer desktops but with portables they've been painful products. I'm used to have at least 6 hours of battery time with my i7 ULV laptop, and tablet users are accustomed to even more.

Polaris is their current GPU model and I'm not sure what you're saying since Intel has for long time delivered only "good enough" graphics. I'm actually quite happy with Intel graphics apart from poor drivers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its amazing how Intel and the PC makers...

~ Accept the dwindling desktop market as fact, while not accepting responsibility for how they helped make that happen (abandoning netbooks for overpriced ultra's etc).

~ I've $ to spend.... If they shipped PC's / Laptops / Netbooks with Linux and no Crapware / Trialware / Bloatware / Spyware... I'm in!

~ What happened to the tech world? Logic has vanished... Yes users are hording old gear, but a large part of that is because they won't want Win-10 Spyware...

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Its amazing how Intel and the PC makers...

"If they shipped PC's / Laptops / Netbooks with Linux and no Crapware / Trialware / Bloatware / Spyware... I'm in!"

I just ordered a custom built HP laptop and it had the option to install FreeDOS, Windows 7, or Windows 10. Getting FreeDOS lowered the cost by $120. So, it may not come with Linux, but at least you can avoid giving any money to Microsoft. (P.S. I went with Windows 7.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I just ordered a custom built HP laptop...

Good to know cheers! While HP is not what it once was, for Win7 its worth biting. Please say more about how you ordered that and where (store / site etc), because that option is not obvious in my area... Cheers!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I just ordered a custom built HP laptop...

Any HP retailer who sells business products (Elitebooks, Elitedesks etc) should be able to order a custom computer with Freedos. Similarly Lenovo also offers some models with Freedos. Dell did, don't know if they do it anymore.

Do note that if you buy a computer with Windows 10 Pro license you're still eligible to downgrade to Windows 7 pro.

4. Joerg

That is good! Marketeers are a cancer!

Sales and marketing staff is a shameful thing. Only a few are needed actually and if and when with their "tricks" find a way to be in charge of any business the results always are worse products, bad customers supprot and a lot of money stolen inside the group.

So firing most of them is a very good thing.

Now Intel can hire more engineers and programmers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That is good! Marketeers are a cancer!

"Now Intel can hire more engineers and programmers."

Yes, Intel *can*, but unlikely that they actually will. Cuts into executive bonuses, you know.

5. Huns n Hoses

Whoa here...

When Sales and Marketing (and Management) starts getting culled it means all the techies who do the actual work have either fled or been sacked.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed a trick

They stopped their incremental numerical product naming.

I have an Quad core i7. OK, it is from 2009 and runs at 2.8GHz but you'll see new products advertised with i5 or i7 and unless you go into the detail you don't know the performance benefits.

By now I'd have expected an i9 would be marketed, it'd make it more apparent that I have an obsolete CPU.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like