back to article AirPort owners: Apple's patched a mystery vuln

Apple has run out a security update for its AirPort routers, to fix a nine-month-old DNS parsing vulnerability. The firmware upgrade is here, and covers 802.11n AirPort Express, Extreme and Time Capsule base stations; and 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule versions. The Apple advisory states only that “A remote …

1. Sebby

The problem is in mDNSResponder, details here. If you were paying attention to your AirPort updates, then you already installed 7.6.7/7.7.7, and already have the fix, whatever it's fixing.

2. Detective Emil
    Paris Hilton

Odd

These patches actually appeared almost a month ago. I wonder why news of them only just hit Apple's product security list.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My 5 year old time capsule updated the other day

... For the first time in a year or two. It's outlasted 3 routers, 4 modems and is still supported.

And where all the others have each had numerous remote code execution exploits, most of which are now left unpatched, these TCs, airport/ Apple wifi routers have never suffered one (until perhaps now). But look it's already patched.

Good on you Apple, keep it up. It's because of this kind of support that I buy your kit- this one time capsule is the only one of 10 such devices I have working- let alone still supported!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My 5 year old time capsule updated the other day

And all four of you had such remarkably similar things to say about it :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Personally, I'm more impressed with the guy who has the 6 year old one than the guy with the measly 5 year old one.

2. Dadmin

HAHA! New commentatortards! Gotta love 'em.

Yes, my trusty 1st gen Aeropuerto Extrementidad got that update over the weekend. I had thought they "out of lifed" that old thing, but it keeps going, and going. Cheap equipment dies, folks. I went through at least two, if not three, DSL routers that were provided by my ISP in as many years. No stress, lived in nice cool area, with good clean power. They are just garbage, throw-away devices, like the Comtrend, or other weird ISP-only "brands" and really not well made. I have many devices from long ago which function perfectly, due to the "old way" of building a product that could last for years. Original Macs, an SGI Octane 2, many many game consoles and handhelds, two Commodore 64s and their 1541 disk drives... these all work and other than the plastic showing it's age, they should last a lifetime. Not so with many of today's cheaply made electro-tat. It is known.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"HAHA! New commentatortards! Gotta love 'em."

Says someone who only joined El Reg 9 months ago.

"Cheap equipment dies, folks."

Horseshit. I've got a "cheap" router from my ISP and its lasted 4 years and going strong. If you look after kit it'll keep working.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"For the first time in a year or two. It's outlasted 3 routers, 4 modems"

How exactly does one get through 3 routers and 4 modems in 5 years? Do you use them for trampoline practice or something?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My 6 y.o time capsule just updated...

... For the first time in a year or two. It's outlasted 3 routers, 4 modems and is still supported.

And where all the others have each had numerous remote code execution exploits, most of which are now left unpatched, these TCs, airport/ Apple wifi routers have never suffered one (until perhaps now). But look it's already patched.

Good on you Apple, keep it up. It's because of this kind of support that I buy your kit- this one time capsule is the only one of 10 such devices I have working- let alone still supported!

5. nullnonce

My 6 y.o. Time capsule just updated...

6. Aodhhan

Pay twice as much...

...and wait twice as long for a patch. This has long been the mantra of Apple.

Perhaps they should lower their public affair budget so they can increase development and testing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like