back to article Bluetooth 5 debuts next week

An update to Bluetooth, version 5.0, will debut next week. The update will double the range and quadruple the speed of low energy Bluetooth transmissions, which should mean an increase to 200m and four megabits per second respectively, and about one megabit per second available to applications. Bluetooth SIG executive …

1. Frenchie Lad

"more capacity to advertising transmissions"

Marvellous how standards bodies are helping facilitate sending unwanted material to end-users. Makes you believe that one's main purpose in life is as cannon fodder for consumerism.

Then of course you can always eschew BT 5 and not profit from the 200m range.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "more capacity to advertising transmissions"

I don't want to be "beaconed" and "located". 200m range means someone can track quite easily the phone in my car from outside - the only place where BT is active. Don't really like it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "more capacity to advertising transmissions"

I don't think you are understanding 'advertising' in the correct context here.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think we are safe this time. "Advertising" is what a BT node does to makes its presence known to other nodes ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

200m range

Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Riiiiiiiiiight. Can't imagine there'll be too many end users who get that sort of performance...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 200m range

It is nearly impossible to get that range with wifi unless you're outdoors and have a finely tuned setup, so I agree that the 200m is theoretical, like the maximum speed of 802.11ac.

4. Jim Willsher

It's not nicknamed slowtooth for no reason.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon