back to article SolidFire offers 'pay as you grow' deals to fight off software upstarts

If you’ve ever had to scope out and purchase enterprise storage, you’ll know what a nightmare it can be. Vendors love to make the process as opaque as possible, with quotes that run into multiple pages and dozens of line items – including bezels and racks. Consider also the issue of adding more hardware (e.g. drives and …

1. Dabber2600
    Alert

PureStorage Software Included

A Pure Storage quote has only three line items on it. FlashArray, Maintenance, and Install. All software is included and installed on the FlashArray.

Not sure I understand the benefits outlined by here.

1. RollTide14

Re: PureStorage Software Included

Lets say you get 10:1 data reduction on your Pure array instead of the 5:1 you were expecting (yay, great news!). Now your company decides to open up a second data center....what do you do?

You have to go out and buy a new Pure Array....all of it. FlashArray - which is probably the most expensive because you are paying for the HW/SW, Maintenance and Install.

Under this new licensing structure, if i got 10:1 instead of 5:1 with Solidfire all I am paying for is the HW which is Dell passthrough + 10%

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

10:1 on SolidFire? 5:1 on SolidFire? Wishful thinking!

It appears most have not experienced Data reductions with this platform before

2:1 at best without Thin Provisioning.

1. RollTide14

Thats why they are called "examples".

I can do the same thing...10:1 with Pure??? Wishful Thinking!!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm stating personal experiences not examples. Examples obfuscate true costs. Personal experiences don't

2. Dabber2600

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a pretty rare use case in the Enterprise space.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like