back to article Is that how you define a flash array, IDC?

An IDC all-flash array (AFA) supplier numbers table, forwarded to us by EMC, appears to contain a few oddities, such as the exclusion of Dell, HDS, Kaminario and Violin products. We asked IDC and it has explained its reasoning. Our question to IDC was this: "The table doesn't mention Dell, HDS, Violin or Kaminario. That's odd …

1. Fortycoats

This is all getting a bit silly.

I half-expect Graham Chapman to walk out in his Colonel costume and say "Right, stop that! It's silly" (despite the fact that the poor chap died in 1989)

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: This is all getting a bit silly.

Well, one of the most prominent folks at Solidfire/Netapp is Gabriel Chapman...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Numbers very wrong

Pure didn't have $341m revenue in Q4 of 2015, nothing like it. Something is very wrong with the table.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep...sure enough

This reminds me of the IDC report that Nutanix excerpted/mangled/trumpeted to claim "52% of the market for HyperConverged" (from Dec. 2014). Then when you look at the fine print in the IDC report you found tortured language they used to exclude several vendors who'd been selling tons of hyperconverged YEARS before Nutanix, and YEARS the word hyperconverged was even invented!

In IDC's defense, they resisted this kind of deception game for quite some time after the others were using it to reap the VC cash fueled hype-cycle profits from startups like Nutanix.

IDC has to make money just like the rest of them. Still -- I'd always respected IDC and still think their analysts are the best -- sorry to see them descend to match the lowest-common-denominator.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon