back to article Intel reveals Xeon E7 v4: Is that 24TB in your pocket or are... oh, it is

As expected, following the announcement of the Xeon E5 v4 server chips, here comes Intel's Xeon E7-8800 and E7-4800 v4 processors. While the E5 v4 CPUs are specced for scale-out systems, the E7 v4 family – announced today – is aimed at scale-up work: think analytics and in-memory database software that need lots and lots of …

1. P. Lee

"Fewer cores means fewer bucks on enterprise software licenses."

Yeah, that's what we were told about CPU sockets, too.

Its all fun and games until you mess with someone's income model. Next up, software licensed on bogomips.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Fewer cores means fewer bucks on enterprise software licenses."

Or licensed per meeting discussing the possibility of purchasing the software.

If you mention it you buy it.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Do 128GB DIMMs exist? How much do they cost (an arm and a leg, or your firstborn)?

1. Pseudonymous Diehard

Ive seen them for about £800 a piece.

Not that insane, but still expensive.

3. John Savard Silver badge

In China, you say?

And here I thought that such chips, like Xeon Phi chips, would be things Intel wasn't allowed to sell to China.

1. Mikel

Re: In China, you say?

This is actually "why China?"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In China, you say?

That's always been a bone of contention between the Departments of Defense, Commerce and State. [NSA being part of DoD.] With cloudy everything, who polices VM's? That's the route I'd take were I am running into Dual-Use issues. So the whole CPU issue? Pointless in a Data Center context.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019