back to article Apache not a loser

Apache Software Foundation (ASF) has turned a projected loss for its most recent fiscal year into a profit [PDF]. The umbrella group for some of the industry’s best known-software projects has turned an estimated loss of $315,000 for the year into a net profit of $122,000. ASF attributed the reversal into taking in more cash …

1. asdf Silver badge

Cheapskates

Wow and how many billions of dollars does their software generate for others? Silicon valley sure are some stingy mother ducks. How sorry a state OpenSSL got in clearly showed that as well.

1. Dadmin
      FAIL

Re: Cheapskates

Are you thinking that this is somehow "Shareware?" As in the old 1980s and 1990s nagware; we like it, so give them some bucks and get a key or other device to "unlock" all the features, or turn off the nag? That model is dead duck. They get their monies from "Stingy Silicon Valley Corps" such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Pivotal, LeaseWeb, Cloudera, etc. http://apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

Also, OpenSSL only uses the Apache License, it is NOT an Apache.org project. Please read up before posting! You sound all confused, guy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. asdf Silver badge

Re: Cheapskates

Way to miss the forest for the trees. I am aware of OpenSSL's status. My point is the amount of resources many in Silicon Valley gain from FOSS is many orders of magnitude greater than what they give back. The only exceptions really somewhat are Red Hat, perhaps Google but even they could be better and back in the day SUN. Yes the others contribute but maybe a single day of their profits if even that total. My point about OpenSSL is here were all these companies who depended on it and yet weren't making sure the project had the resources it needed until it shit itself spectactularly and it became obvious.

2. energystar
    Linux

Internet future heavily dependent on Apache works and philosophy. Wishing the best for them on finding decent, new revenue flows.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck Apache. I have more problems with their fucking shit than anything else in the FOSS world - even when I go out of my way to avoid it.

1. Dadmin

Bullshit, AC! We in the Unix/Linux world do not say FOSS, we say open source. You read too many CIO-type rags. If you HAD EVER setup an apache server, and had EVER setup an IIS server, you would know that the Apache Server setup is dead simple and works extremely well. So well your precious IIS is a dwarf amongst the real-man that is Apache Web Server. And you can set in up at the command line, like a real admin, not with a GUI like a grandma user. Dope!

1. asdf Silver badge

Depends on if he is talking about Apache 1.x which really was a PITA that was way too slow to die.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Apache maintains a bunch of software in addition to their webserver. They all have shitty docs, shitty release processes, shitty XML config files; need I say more?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019