back to article Tintri is great. But is VM-aware storage still what customers want?

Last week, your correspondent attended SFD10 and I met with a lot of interesting storage startups. Most of them have a good level of integration with VMware (who doesn’t today?), but one in particular built its entire strategy around it: Tintri. Tintri and its VM-aware storage The company started in 2008 with the idea of …

1. poltraf

Complete and real

This is a very complete review of the company. I'm a customer, and a happy one, so I'll try to be as critical as you've been writing this post. We're in that category where 1. everything is virtualized, and 2. our Datacentres are quite important since we're CSP. I agree, Tintri is in the middle, between HCI and external storage, but this is exactly where our ideal storage vendor should be. Because a Hyperconverged system would run out of computing very slower than storage (yes, exist a kind of "storage blocks", but in that case it's nomore a HC system), and because an external storage is useless since we don't run any physical system to be served. We came from one of them, I will not name it, but it was a pain. Most of all because we weren't able to discriminate IOPS per VM, but only per Volume (not VVOL :-) ). In our case we helped our marketing guys to create many specific packages based on storage SLAs, but allowing us to use just one vendor. Unfortunately I'm not aware of Nimble Storage Infosight, you got me curious so I will check it. But I say, it's more than 1 year we're using it and I would take that decision again and again. My congrats, Enrico, very good article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Complete and real

If you want 30TB per node useable storage you can get that with some HCI vendors. The solution is to buy the node type that you need based on your business. No need to have a separate storage box to manage. Might as well manage the whole thing as one.

2. tstarken

Under Promise, Over Deliver

While it is true that Tintri really only works for VMs, we found that the switch to Tintri was the catalyst to move our datacenter to the next century. A storage migration for us was not going to be an overnight cutover, but rather a slow move to new storage. Running VMs on Netapp was a nightmare, and when looking at what upgrades were necessary to get what we needed, we were presented with a forklift upgrade where the cost was more than simply buying a Tintri to add a "next tier" of storage that was not only able to handle our VM workload, but do it better than anyone else in the market. What we found was performance so much better that what we had, and a system so easy to manage, that we moved our server virtualization project to the top of the pile and completed moving all 120 servers to VMs over the next three months. Once we were totally virtualized, we added another Tintri for growth (we weren't planning on moving that fast, but the performance gains were so great that administration was quick to approve additional funds to purchase another unit after what we seen with the first Tintri and the promise that we could totally eliminate the need for the NetApp and its high warranty / maintenance costs). We also added a third Tintri for off-site replication as the replication traffic was compressed so much better than Netapp that the third unit was paid for through the reduced need for additional bandwidth to our DR site.

The best part of this entire project was that we were able to move to Hyper-V in the process to save on licensing fees from VMWare. We have fully embraced Hyper-V, and the transition was easy when we could use one Tintri to host VMs for VMware and Hyper-V at the same time. There was no need to keep creating LUNS and resize drives...it was all done through a single NFS share to VMWare and single SMB 3.0 share to Hyper-V. Really, the Tintri is hands off after about 30 minutes to get it setup. With everything virtual, I know that I can move VMs around quickly, restore them quickly (including granular restores), and so much more. A large job on one server doesn't take down all our storage like it did on the NetApp...it is kept separated from the other VMs so they don't suffer. I don't need to move data from one LUN to another to get better performance or because I am running low on space, it is all handled seamlessly in the background. Our budgets are in-check because we don't need any more emergency upgrades to improve performance, and we don't spend money on consultants to diagnose storage performance problems or to help get things setup, and our VMWare licensing costs are gone...life is good. Best of all, Tintri support is extremely responsive. If you have a question, it takes seconds to get ahold of support. They were able to walk us through some changes to our Cisco UCS configuration for better DR options for storage, even though it really should have come from Cisco support. We have suggest new features and they have been added to later Tintri OS builds that we installed. Really, the smaller, more responsive company has proved to be a benefit and not a hindrance.

Yes, there will also be concerns about newer companies or smaller companies. There is always that risk of a company that over promises and under delivers. I just wanted to provide my two cents as this is the first time in my 25 year IT career where a company so under promised and then over delivered that I still sit here in disbelief

3. firozeb

Hi Enrico

You have provided a pretty comprehensive article on Tintri.

While what you mentioned is true regarding Tintri and its competitors there is one point that you seemed to gloss over was how well Tintri perform in the VM aware area.

I have been passionate about Tintri ever since we first introduced them into our company, the performance and granularity of data that the system provides (without Analytics) is impressive. The easy installation and awesome unbox to running make it the perfect fit.

However the true value in Tintri is the passion shown by their support staff, we have put ourselves in issues a few times and support were on the ball and quickly helped us quickly and efficiently.

The risks you highlight are a risk to many companies and adding features has not always mitigated this. The passion and the willingness to take feedback from Tintri will ensure that they are around longer than the examples mentioned.

Tintri have come a long way from the product we first POCed and with the innovation that they are throwing in (cautiously not all once) i am sure they will continue on their upward trajectory.

4. ggrice

Since we implemented Tintri -

* My snapshots are instantaneous, and backup jobs run flawlessly (even the biggies).

* My users don't complain about "slow" VDI anymore and our SQL reports run quicker than ever.

* I never have a "volume" go offline and failed replication is a thing of the past.

* Updates and patches are a breeze to apply, likewise the management console is fast and easy to use - Tintri makes my job easier not harder.

* We are 100% virtualised. Having storage that is designed, built, and implemented as VM-aware makes our "stuff run better".

OK you can say "but everyone else does that" which may or may not be true but I can tell you that Tintri are visionary leaders in this space and everyone else is playing catchup. After three years of ownership I can tell you that Tintri has made a vital difference in our data centre I will not hesitate to buy Tintri again.

"Tintri is great. But is VM-aware storage still what customers want?" - YES!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vRealize Ops?

Can't you achieve a similar per-VM granularity if you run vRealize Ops along with your storage vendor of choice, providing they have vROPS plugin?

1. DeepStorage

It's about granularity

Tintri's secret sauce is that they provide the data management services one VM at a time. vROPS is just an automation platform, it doesn't change how the underlying storage works.

If you have multiple VMs in a single datastore the storage sees one volume. It can therefore only snapshot or replicate ALL the VMs in that volume or NONE of the VMs in that volume and since the timing on application consistent snapshots is very tight those snapshots will be at best crash consistent.

You could tell vROPS to create a new datastore for each VM but you'll soon hit the 255 SAN logins limit.

vVols is a solution but it's still evolving and doesn't support replication among other things.

6. edk88

Small Sys Admin Teams

Great article and I appreciate why you are critical of TinTri in certain areas. My 2 cents, if it's worth anything and as a TinTri customer, is focused on the main reasons we purchased TinTri. We looked at Nimble, NetApp and have EMC in house as well. But why TinTri stood out for the rest for us, as a small 3 man Sys Admin team, was the set-it and forget-it ability. Let me explain what I mean by that and what factors lead to us choosing TinTri:

1st - We are 100% virtualized, so that made a VM aware storage device a must.

2nd - As a small team, being able to simplify our storage environment to the point were we just monitor and keep updated has allowed our team to focus on more critical areas of our data centers.

3rd - Being able to do in-place and live upgrades to the systems is critical, we are a small shop but uptime is huge for us, and comparing upgrading with EMC - wow - TinTri really shines, simple and fast.

4th - TinTri Global Center software and analytics has given us a single window for troubleshooting bad VMs and that has simplified our on-call teams lives.

5th - Performance / not having to managed tiers/LUNs etc. (see point #2) This has been a huge time saver for our team, I/O is no longer the daily conversation in our shop and that is huge!

Just wanted to share my thoughts and thanks again for a great article and your honest views!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TinTri versus HCI

I love hearing all the TinTri passion from these responses; but it seems to me that HCI such as Nutanix does all of this too; but it also the compute. Seems to me that Nutanix and other HCI players are much more relevant going forward.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to compete with Tintri when I worked at another, much larger, storage company. I have to say, it is very impressive. Not every customer wants storage for VMs only, but the vast majority do... or their environments are 90% virtualized and it makes more sense to buy a viritualized storage solution and then buy something niche (a FlashSystem) for the DBs or non-VM workloads. It is also a good point to mention that VMware (and others, but most people don't care about the others) are coming out with solutions which will make what Tintri does less interesting, VVOLs and, eventually, SDDC. VVOLs require work to implement though and SDDC isn't out there in force yet, and will probably also be an integration project. For the time being, it is pretty interesting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon