back to article Speaking in Tech: The Gartner and OpenStack smack-talk episode

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise Hosted by Greg Knieriemen, Ed Saipetch and Sarah Vela. This week, the whole gang is together to talk about Gartner, Greg’s hiatus, Tucci on a hoverboard and vCloud Air. Our special guest this week is Ron Bianchini, President and CEO of Avere Systems. @Knieriemen Great. You' …

1. returnofthemus

Go Girl, Lydia is the Man!

OpenStack, what the hell is it anyway, LOL!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Go Girl, Lydia is the Man!

Clearly Lydia isn't even aware of Gartner's own position on OpenStack:

http://blogs.gartner.com/alan-waite/2016/05/03/openstack-gartner-facts/

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Betting your company on OpenStack?

Greg Knieriemen: "Let's be honest, Gartner hasn't published *any* user research on OpenStack so its just blowing smoke anyways"

Lydia Leong:'@cdaffara Vendors claiming Gartner is "supporting" OpenStack seriously misrepresent our (unchanged) position. Where? /cc @Alan_D_Waite"

Lydia Leong: "@Knieriemen Actually, you're wrong. Gartner has published 4 OpenStack end-user notes (in addition to vendor notes) over the last year."

Greg Knieriemen: "@cloudpundit Links? What I've seen is not user adoption research."

Greg Knieriemen: @cloudpundit To be specific, I'm talking about survey research on who and how enterprises are adopting OpenStack, not anecdotal pieces"

Lydia Leong: "Doing primary-research surveys for rarely-adopted tech is extremely difficult and leads to really dubious results."

Greg Knieriemen: "@cloudpundit I'm beating a dead horse here but I think good research is better than opinion"

Lydia Leong: "@Knieriemen Great. You're welcome to bet your company's strategy on OpenStack being a huge future success. Good luck with that." link

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Betting your company on OpenStack?

You forgot the last piece of that twitter thread:

Greg Knieriemen: "OpenStack may or may not be a huge success.. but company's like ours look for good market research to drive strategy"

3. Knieriemen

Clarification

You can listen to the podcast for some details, but to clarify the twitter discussion between Lydia and I, Lydia has clearly stated that OpenStack simply has "Narrow and specific use cases" (see https://twitter.com/cloudpundit/status/725703809574535173).

I responded by asking her for any Gartner research to support that claim since OpenStack has a very diverse list of customers and use cases (see https://www.openstack.org/user-stories/) and 451 Research has actually done the user research Lydia claims is "extremely difficult" (see https://451research.com/report-short?entityId=87456).

For me, the bottom line is that Lydia's opinions about OpenStack are not based on actual research that Gartner has done on users (there is no Gartner published research on user adoption). Alan Waite (from Gartner) has published reasonable and nuanced opinion's about OpenStack but it isn't user research.

As I tweeted to Lydia, OpenStack may or may not be a huge success, but we need good research to make that conclusion and Gartner hasn't done that yet.

-Greg

1. admiraljkb

Re: Clarification

@Knieriemen Poor Linda is just out of touch with the industry and even with her employer Gartner who did an abrupt about face on her.

Given that ATT, Verizon, Deutsch Telekom and Walmart along with many, many others are betting the farm and their networks on OpenStack, its no longer some fringe tech that she thinks it is. OpenStack has already passed the tipping point adoption wise just due to the sheer scale of the behemoths now involved who are moving off proprietary solutions (and dedicating development resources to the project) in order to increase their pace of innovation, and better their bottom lines because time is money. What was said over and over from the Telco's in particular at the conference last week is they took 6 month odd lead times and turned them into days, hours or even minutes depending on what was being done. Thats just like printing money for them. Those folks aren't going back to old school stuff that Linda is apparently attached to (or being paid by?).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like