back to article Gozi trojan mastermind sentenced by US court to time served

The self-confessed creator of the infamous Gozi trojan was sentenced to time served and ordered to pay $6.9m in restitution by a New York court on Monday. Nikita Kuzmin, a 28-year-old Russian citizen, pleaded guilty to computer hacking and fraud charges in May 2011. He was released after 37 months served on remand, as part of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Compromised banking trojan machine hybrid malware ©

The lawyers should go after the writers of Gozi for violating their patented intellectual property.

2. Little Mouse

Over three years on remand??!!

Holy crap.

3. Aodhhan

Considering the amount of money stolen by him alone, along with selling & renting Gozi to rip off so many people... I think 3 years is a pretty light sentence. Sure, I think he should be given some credit for assisting authorities with nabbing a few other criminals but wow, this is a bit much.

Others have been given 10 year sentences for simply grabbing information and some credit card numbers totaling less than $100,000. This guy ripped off millions of dollars affecting thousands of people and gets 3 years?

Other criminals who get caught stealing $10,000 to $100,000 (non computer theft) receive sentences over 5 years.

..and you're crazy if you think this guy will stay in the country and pay one cent in reparations.

Another failed judge and failed prosecutor.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Considering the amount of money stolen by him alone, along with selling & renting Gozi to rip off so many people... I think 3 years is a pretty light sentence."

Hey, it's not like he's done anything really serious like torrenting music and movies and stuff...

4. Mahhn

They should have cut his fingers off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like