back to article Flinging Slack at them won't get team talking – senior Etsy engineer

Throwing collaboration tools such as Slack at a business with fundamental communications problems will do nothing to solve development and operational issues, said Katherine Daniels, senior operations engineer at Etsy. In her Continuous Lifecycle London event keynote speech, she said: "You cannot buy DevOps as a service and …

1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Happy

Slack certainly doesn't help me. For some unfathomable reason the Windows client just will not display alerts for me. My colleagues get them but despite our best efforts I seem to be in some kind of 'alert black spot'. It's a bit annoying sometimes when the CI server bleats but to be honest when it's an operational issue it's quite handy :)

1. Nate Amsden

I see the linux slack client pretty regularly chew up to 4GB of memory before I kill it. It works pretty well in general. I don't really use any of the fancy stuff(others at my company do) I just treat it as a dumb chat client, since that is all I need.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Don't do DevOps because it is trendy'

That is all I need to know about DevOps.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: 'Don't do DevOps because it is trendy'

Okay, now El Reg is starting to scare me.

3. Alistair

Hmmm

"Don't do DevOps. Because its trendy."

Punctuation. It is important.

4. RyokuMas
    Stop

Yet more disruption...

I do my bit for getting the team talking by uninstalling Slack, Skype, Lync and all that other instant messenger crap.

5. Ilmarinen
    FAIL

WTF?

"Bla, bla, bla", went the article.

Folks looked at each other, wondering "WTF was that all about?" and "did they *pay* someone to write that?"

And, by strange coincidence, we had an invite to "Slack" today from a client. Sadly, our network security policies won't allow us to accept. Perhaps we could use something else instead? Maybe... uuh... I know - email?

1. John Sturdy

Re: WTF?

Sometimes it's handy to have something that shows the messages as they come in, without having to take an explicit step of "reading mail". IRC FTW.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like