back to article Devs claim charger uses 'photosynthesis' power battery charger

A team of developers claiming to have created the world’s first plant-pot-powered battery charger are pulling in crowd funding support. The project has raised more than €61,000 – over four times its target – and has piqued the interest of more than 400 people who have bought the plant pot, named Bioo Lite. We're told it is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assuming 2kwh phone battery capacity, they can produce 6kwh/day, from a single plant?

Surely shome mishtake? That sounds very high to me.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep. I have my units wrong.

2. MattPi

"Assuming 2kwh phone battery capacity they can produce 6kwh/day, from a single plant?

Surely shome mishtake? That sounds very high to me. "

I think you have your units wrong, a phone battery is on the order of 3000mAh, which would take 10-ish W for an hour (.010 kWh) to charge. (3000 mAh * 3.6 V). 2kWh would be like running an 1875W hair dryer for an hour.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, I mixed up mAh and kWh

2. monty75

I'm no physicist but this sounds like snake oil to me. Any peer-reviewed papers supporting their claims?

1. JLV

Correct me if I've got the units wrong. But isn't full solar around 1KW/sq m? And plants run at 2% photosynthesis efficiency on top of that?

Hard to square with this kind of output from a flowerpot

1. Captain DaFt

"Hard to square with this kind of output from a flowerpot"

Quote:

-Chantal Marin, Bioo's chief marketing officer, said that the Bioo Lite device is boosted by “natural chemical enhancers in order to support the energy produced by photosynthesis.”-

Reads to me like a flowerpot shaped battery with a bit of 'green' snakeoil added.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

Still nonsense

Photosynthesis is like a solar panel. It's not feasible to get this sort of power from sunlight via bacteria in this area of plant pot.

This sounds more like a battery. How long does it last before it wears out?

4. Jered Floyd

Please stop promoting scams; have some journalistic integrity!

El Reg, have you no shame?

Has it come to this? Clickbait and eyeball-scrounging?

Will we be getting listicles next? "You won't believe these 10 hot tips to wow your storage admin in the data center"?

This is yet another in the long list of blatant frauds populating IndieGoGo (along with Shiftwear, Fontus, Trtiton, and many others). Devices that claim the physically impossible, but manage to steal millions of dollars because irresponsible journalists like you fail to ask even the most basic questions before hyping them to the world. Or, perhaps worse, choose not to ask those questions because you want ad impressions.

Show some journalistic integrity, Ms. Quatch! Delete this article. And check out https://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/, or simply engage your brain, before posting things like this in the future.

1. GrumpenKraut
      Megaphone

Re: Please stop promoting scams; have some journalistic integrity!

Learn to DevOp, WHILE YOU SLEEP!

How to stop hating systemd, in just 4711e17 EASY STEPS!

(etc.)

Thanks for the reddit link. An extra strong[TM] article about ridiculous funding campaigns, please.

1. tony2heads

@GrumpenKraut

4711e17 (or 4.711e20) sounds like a hell of a lot of steps. If each step takes 1 second that wold be more than a thousand times the age of the universe.

2. JLV

Great link. For Shiftwear (puts an e-ink screen on sneakers), I feel like a quote from a commenter is deserved:

Here is a list of their ‘team’

Corey Herscu – Media Relations

Zack Young – Digital & Social Strategy

Madeleine Stoesser – Media Relations

Samantha Goldsilver – Campaigner

George Alexandru Zaharia – Co-Founder/Lead Software Engineer

David Coelho – Founder

over 1/2 are social media guru’s who probably wouldn’t know what a soldering iron was if it bit them.

They have no electrical engineer…. at all. They have a software engineer, but they need a f’n brilliant electrical engineer to make what they’re talking about.

But, as we all know, social media is the end-all and be-all, so it'll all work out dans le meilleur des mondes.

Where is Bong? I miss him. :(

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Yeah OK, OK. Point taken. Take a look around the rest of the site - clickbait isn't our thing. Apologies if not every article is shit hot.

C.

5. g00se
    Pint

Urosynthesis

Energy harvested from bacteria alone isn't enough to provide a decent charge. In 2013, a team of scientists from Bristol Robotics Laboratory managed to produce a meagre 2.5mW – much lower than the 5W output of a typical phone charger – from urine-powered bacteria.

Why not combine the two approaches then? I often find I piss in the plant pots after a big night out so finding my spare phone charged in the morning would help to alleviate the hangover.

6. Cynic_999

Natural enhancement

"

To overcome this, Chantal Marin, Bioo's chief marketing officer, said that the Bioo Lite device is boosted by “natural chemical enhancers in order to support the energy produced by photosynthesis.”

"

Natural chemicals - like zinc, carbon and manganese dioxide, perhaps?

7. Chozo
    Joke

Triffid 2.0

Triffid with a taser, able to charge mobile devices and safe as so long as you keep it docked.

8. find users who cut cat tail

Bioo

At least it seems people stopped creating names with missing vowels and switched to names with too many vowels. It is positive news? Maybe for the French...

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So leccy does grow on trees!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like