back to article Ted Cruz knows where you live – if you downloaded his app

Many US presidential primary apps gather users’ personal information and leave their sensitive data vulnerable to attackers, security researchers at Symantec warn. Data exchanged through many of the apps can be intercepted by attackers and shared with third parties because of weak security practices. Symantec analysed the …

1. Frank Bitterlich
    Big Brother

Not surprising...

No surprise... after all, how can you call for a ban on encryption when you're using HTTPS when transmitting the data syphoned off your supporters' phones?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Not surprising...

Easily - it is a standard behavior for a politician. It is called "political integrity".

2. Alister Silver badge
    Coat

Donald Trump has been the focus of much interest, dominating all candidates with 75 per cent of presidential primary apps categorized under his name.

Yes, but doesn't that category include all the fart apps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I am absolutely huge in the fart apps. HUGE!. After all America can't be great again without a laugh and what's funnier that farting in lying Ted's wife's face?" - DJT

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Wrong DT App

His favourite ones my be 'Comb-over' apps.

Coat with a wooly hat in the pocket. Gotta protect what's left of my barnet from the sleet.

3. andrewj

The scariest thing is that Trump is a more appealing option than Turd Cruise.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ted is the end of all

Trump comes off more as a self promoting ass clown but Ted Cruz is Martin Sheen from the movie the Dead Zone. Still waiting to see him in a hard hat. "The missiles are flying , Hallelujah, Hallelujah. I told the base I would do something about the Rapture taking too long, didn't I?" All said with that smirk on his oh so punchable sociopath face. And with a pathological liar with ZERO charisma on the other side it's looking rough for some of the free world for the near future huh? Damn and its only Tuesday too.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. DougS Silver badge

Turd Cruise

Yeah in the past the republican voters have done a good job of separating out the far right fringe wackos, but I think that didn't happen this year due to all the support for Trump. That caused some mainstream republicans to vote for Cruz as a vote against Trump, when normally they'd never consider voting for such an extremist.

Typically in the primary season you can at least be FOR someone when there are multiple candidates that can come closer to your personal views, it is only when you get to the general election that the average voter is more likely to be voting AGAINST someone. Particularly so this year, as voters will either vote against Hillary or against Trump.

Too bad we don't have a "none of the above" choice, which if it gets a majority of the votes causes a new election to be held with new candidates. Safe to say none of the above would win the majority this fall. Even though republicans wouldn't want to see Obama's presidency extended by a few months to accommodate that, I think many would be OK with it if it meant getting a do over on their candidate.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Turd Cruise

>I think many would be OK with it if it meant getting a do over on their candidate.

Sadly seeing how messed up much of the GOP base is right now they would end up just selecting one of the theologians like the Huckster who pulled a reverse Willie Horton (oh the white guy who found God won't kill again, lets release him) or Rick Sanitarium who will make it his (God's) mission to get rid of the devil's condoms. Its not like they didn't have decent choices to begin with in the first place. In fact is almost feel like they are voting the nerd, homecoming king for the lulz.

2. Mark 85 Silver badge

Too bad we don't have a "none of the above" choice, which if it gets a majority of the votes causes a new election to be held with new candidates.

Until Congress can be convinced that there's more money to be made and put in their pockets by this, it won't happen. The other problem is, most of the ones in there now would fall into the "none of the above" category and they wouldn't want that to happen...

3. Sherrie Ludwig

Too bad we don't have a "none of the above" choice, which if it gets a majority of the votes causes a new election to be held with new candidates. Safe to say none of the above would win the majority this fall. Even though republicans wouldn't want to see Obama's presidency extended by a few months to accommodate that, I think many would be OK with it if it meant getting a do over on their candidate.

I have been begging for that for years. I have been voting in the USA far too long by holding my nose and voting for the lesser of two evils. I would like to vote for "not evil".

4. redpawn Silver badge

The leaks here hardly matter

Political campaigns are going to make use of your info, spreading it far and wide. They may not share your info immediately but share it they will, and those people will share it too for a price.

5. veti Silver badge

No surprise in the case of Hillary, Kasisch or Cruz (nobody ever accused any of these three of being competent at anything, and Hillary in particular understands less about privacy than she does about Essene theology).

But the surprising takeaway from this story is that, apparently, Mr Drumpf's app doesn't leak. First plausible reason I've ever seen to consider voting for him. (Not enough, of course. It'd take about 300 more 'reasons' of that level.)

1. webhead

I had it demonstrated to me personally about how folks could download the data from hillary website. It was just name, age, address type of stuff. Simply, each individual record would be displayed to any anonymous person volunteering to call voters, but some slight tweets allowed you to get it in bulk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019