back to article LG: Stop focusing on Apple and Samsung. There's us. And our G5. Look at it. Look at it

Every year LG threatens to steal the flagship crown, but the press pauses briefly only on the device before returning to speculating about Samsung and Apple. LG’s flagships have featured ground-breaking screens (Quad HD), unusual banana shaped glass and consistently good imaging. But still no breakthrough. No wonder LG got fed …

1. gv

Software Updates

It's all well and good enabling some form of hardware upgrade, but the pain point for owning an LG phone is that the software updates become non-existent after a relatively short period of time.

1. asdf

Re: Software Updates

If you want an LG phone with the latest updates and decent support look for it under the Nexus line. That is the only way I buy an LG (for others as I don't do Trojan horse data mining phones myself).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Software Updates

I had a P990 and yes. Never knew whether an update was coming or not. No more LG for me.

2. Triggerfish

Not sure about the metal back, seems it may be a bit of obfuscation from the LG marketing dept.

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-made-of-plastic-not-metal-683460/

Also had a look in the shops at one. The join for the modular part strikes me as a weak point, I had a play and think I would not be happy with the phone in my pocket without adding a case to add some strength at that join. It just didn't seem engineered that securely.

According to other reviews the batteries a bit shite as well, swappable or not that could be better. otherwise you are just swapping batteries because they are underpowered and all extension of between charge times becomes moot.

I was looking forward to this phone but I find it wanting.

1. Brenda McViking

ditto. All ready to buy a flagship, only non negotiable requirement was a removable battery. LG pop up with this and yet I'm hugely uninspired by reviews.

A plastic case I could have lived with. Unibody metal cases are "apparently" what everyone wants (not me, give me good old plastic any day), so LG make one, supposedly solve the "impossible" problem of all-metal cases and removable batteries and then make it feel like... plastic. Guys, come on.....

Modularity - could be a game changer, but already I really feel as though LG are doing it no favours. High bar to becoming a developer for modules, for a single product which will of it's own accord become too niche to develop for unless something happens quickly. Classic chicken and egg scenario. LG haven't got decent modules for it - a 32 bit DAC (the phone already has 24bit audio, plus no FCC approval for the modular DAC so it wont sell in the US), and a camera grip - nothing of very much interest then, won't drive sales, risks unpopularity = no market for devs to tap into.

A wide open market to developers with super low barriers to entry might have saved the G5 - I mean, things like a projector attachment? sign me up. FLIR module - niche but I'd take it. But LG vetting applicants, all this talk of oversight to "ensure quality" just sounds like when my companies brand droids want to get involved - they'll just stifle ideas and generally prolong the process which ends up guaranteeing failure. I have to ask myself would I take the risk and develop for LG? the answer is probably no.

I really wanted to like this phone. I was all set to go out and buy one. But I have been stung by LG before, and it's making me hesitate, particularly as the reviews all find it currently lacking, with great potential upside. In my experience LG promise but don't deliver. I only hope that if this fails it isn't pinned on the fact that it had a removable battery - as this is the only thing right now that is making me consider buying one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Modules

And what exactly what be the value of designing a FLIR or projector module, versus designing one that can be accessed via USB or Bluetooth, so it would work on a wider range of phones and not drag down the internal battery?

The module thing is a gimmick that never had a chance, and adds no value over a "module" that is either connected in a way that allows its use on any phone, or built into a case (so again, it can be easily adapted for a wider market than just LG G5)

I'll bet the module idea gets dumped with the G6, but even if it doesn't they will probably change the design of the G6 enough that the modules for the G5 won't work in it. What OEM is going to be stupid enough to design a module with such a small potential market and short expected lifespan? Look how pissed people got about Apple changing the dock connector after ten years and over half a billion compatible devices?

1. Phil Kingston

Re: Modules

I'm in two minds on "friends". I can kind of seeing it being neat. And it's certainly a differentiator. But I'd also jump at a device twice as thick, crammed with battery, DAC and decent imaging.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Modules

Yes having a look at a friends iphone that is sort of banana shaped at the moment, (yeah can happen to other brands as well), I can't help but think phone design wise, a few more mill thickness really would not cause any problems ergonomically, while adding a little more structural strength and space for a larger battery, or maybe better camera if thats your thing. Much more appealing.

3. Eponymous Bastard

...and the battery life HAS NEVER BEEN a constant worry ...

The battery life has never been a constant worry on my G4 which I have had since last June, and the 'phone is running Marshmallow, having received an OTA update, on an EE 4g contract. The camera is the best I have ever had on a 'phone and I love the dng option. The screen is amazing, I can swap out the battery, I have a 64gb card in it. What's not to like? I won't buy another Samsung 'phone as the two I have had have been a disappointment. The Tocco - remember that? - suffered from chronic dust ingress and the S4's power switch failed after less than 2 years - POS - and the camera was shite. My G4 could be a keeper.

1. Benno

Re: ...and the battery life HAS NEVER BEEN a constant worry ...

Exactly - I've had a G4 for about a year, and it's bloody marvellous. With some effort I've managed to use 50% of the battery life in a day, but the thing was almost constantly in use to do so (i.e calls and business work, not social crap). Generally I go home with ~%75% charge, and it will use about 2% overnight if I forget to plug it in. Camera is great, and I even managed to put a Defender case over the leather back. Bought it from Kogan unlocked and currently running Android 6.0 (Jan patch tho...)

Best smartphone I've used - hands down.

4. Martin Summers Silver badge

I personally think LG have an image problem, budget consumer electronics. I think LG and I think microwaves and white goods. I know Samsung do the same but I just can't get my head around LG doing phones. LG doesn't scream premium, it is screaming look at me look at me as your sub head says and I think most people just think 'meh'.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Interesting. I have the opposite feeling. I have an LG fridge & microwave that are stellar and have taken a beating and still look good.

I think Samsung and I think of proprietary TouchPiz and dealing with bloatware and the "premium" bend-over-for-it Apple-style experience which I definitely do NOT want.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Taken a beating? What Basil Fawlty style with a tree branch? Oh no you said you were pleased with them didn't you.

I think Samsung have gone their own way now, I don't think there's a sexier phone than an S7 Edge right now. I agree the TouchWiz is rubbish and so is the ecosystem they tried to build to rival Apple. Then again HTC are just as guilty of trying to get you to sign in to their services clunkily on offer next to Google's. It should be one or the other.

2. Phil Kingston

"I personally think LG have an image problem'

To me also, their brand perception is still no higher than when they ditched the Goldstar name to try and level-up.

5. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

IR Blaster

I think people overlook the USP of an IR blaster: being able to turn off or mute televisions in bars, restaurants, and pubs. All you need to do is download the right app, figure out the model of TV, and boom, off it goes, which is a blessed relief for those of us who want to be able to socialize (or drink) without the constant distraction of a television.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: IR Blaster

People had a great time doing that when casio released its IR watch. Back in the days when there were TV's in shop windows. Or of course if you fancied annoying the teachers by switching the TV on the trolley off.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And then some other asshole who thinks he has the right to control TVs in establishments that he is merely a customer in will decide to turn up the volume to ear piercing levels, or switch off the game you are watching because he wants to watch the Kardashians reality show.

Any decent sized place will have the IR control over their equipment blocked or at least switch to an alternate codeset so idiots can't go around doing that.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Some other asshole who thinks he has the right to control TVs in establishments that he is merely a customer in will decide to turn up the volume to ear piercing levels,

Any decent establishment will either:

- have no televisions, or

- have the television's audio routed to an amplifier behind the bar - nobody wants the tiny noise that comes from the speakers internal speakers.

6. Shadow Systems

Does it take an SD card?

I listened to the article twice but heard no mention of expandable memory. A removeable/replaceable battery & SD card slot are pretty much the deal makers/breakers as far as a phone goes. If it doesn't have either of those, I'll have to look elsewhere.

I don't want a phone that becomes a brick when the battery dies, I want to buy a new/extended capacity battery to prolong the life.

I don't want to keep having to sync the phone to a computer, or fiddle with a special USB cable to hook it to a computer, or a USB OTG cable to slap in a USB memory stick, I just want to pull the SD card from one, slip it in the other, & Get Shit Done.

As far as it being "modular" I can metaphoricly see it being a boon - a module could be devised with a massively extended capacity battery to make it last for days on a single charge, or a "double stack" for standard batteries such that you can remove one to replace it & still have the other to keep the unit going. I can envision having a module for extra ports, like a couple of USB for added connectivity to assist the "use it like a laptop" crowd. Or a module with a dedicated GPU +VRAM to boost the device ability to drive 4K monitors/tvs/etc. The modules MIGHT be useful IF they can convince enough developers to start creating.

But if there's no removeable battery & SD card, I won't be one of their customers.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Does it take an SD card?

Okay - I'll give you some credit - the idea of having two batteries so that one can be 'hot swapped' is a good one - I've suggested the same in these forums before ( the secondary battery only has to be good for five minutes or so, enough to swap the primary battery with some margin).

The SD card - in the time it took you to wrote about, you could have googled it. Yes, it has an SD card, no, it doesn't support all the ways of using it that the new Android would otherwise allow.

The battery - you're griping about it, but the G5's battery is replaceable.

Extra GPU? Why have it attached to the phone? Makes more sense to have it in a HDMI stick and just use the phone to shunt content to it. The last LG model did 4K playback on screen, but the problem of shifting it to a TV is more likely to be that of interconnect standards.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Does it take an SD card?

The battery is being replaceable is a great idea, it would be better if they used decent bateries, performance seems to be just under a full day and it's a smaller battery than the G4.

If the battery was a good one that lasted a long time and swappable it's a winner, A battery I have to change or recharge, in the course of one day it's a fail it doesn't extend your battery life it gives you the same battery life as other smartphones that do not need the swap. Except they charge you an extra £40 for the battery module and the priviliege.

7. Ru'

"they’re not going to be outdated by advances in CPUs or networks any time soon"

Are you sure that the "friend" (lol) interface can support this sort of add-in? It's one thing having a general expansion port, quite another if it can take a replacement CPU and/or radio subsystem.

And 32 bit audio on a phone? 24 bit standard one not enough? Come on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like