back to article Big Content seeks to ban Kickass Torrents from Australia

Australia's music industry wants Kickass Torrents blocked by local internet service providers. The Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) has announced legal action in the Federal Court against the site, under last year's amendments to the Copyright Act. Those amendments, in Section 115A of the Act, allow a right to …

1. goldcd

Allow me to assist

https://unblocked.red/

I only stumbled across this after having found my favourite source of Linux ISO images had been blocked by my ISP in the UK.

I'd no idea that all this other stuff existed.

This internet thing seems pretty resilient for some reason.

Somebody should inform our representatives!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Allow me to assist

Which is why governments around the world are trying to ban encryption.

MPAA money talks much louder than public privacy concerns.

2. TReko

Re: Allow me to assist

One wonders how they plan to implement the ban? DNS blocking or routing to other sites?

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I don't suppose the relevant corporations have tried providing the same services that Kickass provides, but legally and for a fee? No?

Maybe that's worth a go. All your content in one place, easily searchable, downloadable and yours forever to play on any device you choose. Hell, I'd love to give a company like that my money.

No? Okay, Streisand effect and failing one more time it is then.

1. Daniel Voyce
      Megaphone

Living here

I can confirm it is nigh on impossible to get anything either at a reasonable time, price or quality in Australia! Our Netflix is crippled, local offerings are complete toss, when we do get releases they are often weeks to months behind the US & UK, everything else online is "Not available in your country" and when we do try and do at least a partially good thing (such as pay for US Netflix or Hulu) there are no edge servers available anywhere near us so even on my shiny new (maximum for the next 10 years because "foresight") 50Mb/s connection it buffers every 20 seconds when anyone in the USA is available.

So they wonder why its easier to click a single icon on a website and get near instantaneous downloads when they make it so fucking difficult to procure anything legally and easily!

2. dan1980

@Trevor_Pott

Exactly.

It has been widely reported by many different groups (some with otherwise conflicting outlooks) that since the introduction of Netflix in Australia, illegal downloading of copyright film/television is substantially down.

Which is good news and reinforces what so many have been saying for so long.

And yet, despite this reduction being reported by the studios and copyright lobby groups, the Netflix catalogue in Australia is still a fraction of that available in the US. Why? because the copyright owners want to squeeze as much out of each region as possible by setting license fees higher in Australia than the US. There are also exclusive deals with Foxtel (as happened with Game of Thrones) that result in content deliberately withheld from streaming services to increase the value of the license for pay TV.

But that is a special case of subscription based content delivery and, while this is a perfectly suitable way to get your movies and music, it is not the way some people want to get their content. Some people want to own it and they want that copy to be as flexible and portable and long-lived as buying a CD or DVD.

That means no DRM that restricts use to certain devices or requires connection to Internet servers to play or that prevents you lending or selling the stuff you've already bought.

Because that is what a 'pirated' movie offers - a copy that can be played on any device (with suitable format support) and can be easily added to a home media program without worrying about having to rip a disc using some black-magic combination of software and scripts and settings.

There is also no tracking of what is being watched and when so that media companies are able to build profiles of us. Nor are there the patronising and annoying forced messages about copyright or preview trailers. When I put in a CD and press play, I am taken straight to the first track of content. When I put in a DVD/Blu-ray and press play, I expect the first thing I see to be the menu screen - no warnings or notices, no "thank-you for supporting the film industry", no "you wouldn't steal a handbag" and no spruiking other content.

I will still buy my content the traditional way: by walking into a store and handing over some money but it is not hard to see that, for those who want more convenience than this, downloading 'pirated' content is simply the easiest way to achieve the desired result and sometimes the only way to achieve it. Regardless of cost.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whack a mole

When your ship (business model) is sinking, it's not a bigger bucket (stick) you need.

4. Oengus

I was at a venue recently and went to download something. I was informed by the splash page that he site I was attempting to access was in a forbidden category.

I started TOR and refreshed the browser and up it popped. 10 seconds to bypass the block.

As to the DNS blocking at the ISP... I haven't used an ISP's DNS in over 10 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like