back to article Daft Punk: Snowden goes electronica

It is a seemingly unlikely career change, bored Moscovite Edward Snowden has agreed to provide vocals for a track on Jean Michel Jarre's forthcoming album. "I've always appreciated electronic music. The melodies that I remember with most fondness are actually from video games where they generate 8-bit music, and those kinds of …

1. pewpie

Somewhere, out there in the depths of the universe.. far beyond the outer reaches of pitiful, lies this.

1. Someone_Somewhere

Pukey: "Somewhere, out there in the depths of the universe.. far beyond the outer reaches of pitiful, lies this comment."

There, ftfy.

2. Captain TickTock
    Joke

Bono's looking good for his age...

just sayin'

3. Teiwaz

Hopefully less pretentious...

Than Teo and Tea in 2007.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a bored Moscovite" (@Ian)

Sorry Ian, but the guy has stood up, put his principles in front of his own convenience and, for better or worse, done his bit to make the world a better place to live. Whereas you are a nobody¹.

No disrespect, but I do not find your attempt at a quip at all funny. Sounds a bit much like Schadenfreude (not that I consider Mr Snowden at all unfortunate, on the contrary).

¹ Like me, except that I am grateful to those who make sacrifices for the public good.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "a bored Moscovite" (@Ian)

Are you new here? This is El Reg... they shoot ALL the sacred cows.

Edit: Yes, I feel a little sorry for him. For standing up for his principles and helping make his country a better place, he's pretty much permanently exiled to a cold, hostile, foreign country, ruled by a complete asshole, that's pretty much the opposite of his idea of a nice place.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "a bored Moscovite" (@Ian)

> he's pretty much permanently exiled to a cold, hostile, foreign country, ruled by a complete asshole,

He's in Russia, not Germany.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Snowden's next jam?

Reputedly a cover of Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching' Me".

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Snowden's next jam?

Elmo Batman - I Am A Spy For The FBI

(Because I couldn't find a link to Edwin Starr's 'I Spy For The FBI' which I like better, but there you are.)

6. Criminny Rickets
    WTF?

Where's Daft Punk?

Why was Daft Punk mentioned in the headline when the story had nothing to do with them, but with Jean Michel Jarre instead. Yes, they both do Electronica, but Jean Michel Jarre's is totally different from Daft Punk. Is the term Daft Punk, now considered an adjective to describe Electronica?

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Where's Daft Punk?

Perhaps they try to be witty and imply that Snowden himself is such a daft punk?

Although I wouldn't agree with that.

7. kurios

So, just to conform to the adage that 90% of statistics are made up on the spot - just like this one -

I'll say that 90% of the readers of this article secretly admire Snowden for what he's done and for his forthcoming appearance in the entertainment world.

If *you* could have done it, wouldn't you?

8. Florida1920
    Facepalm

Oh, Edward

Don't you remember? It was singing that got you into this mess in the first place.

1. AceRimmer1980
      Coat

Re: Oh, Edward

But JM Jarre's opuses are mainly instrumentals.

So he'll be blowing whistle..

9. h3nb45h3r

Snowden is not a hero..

I just don't get it, I suppose for the same reason I don't understand people actively following the lives of people like Paris Hilton, Bruce "or whatever her name is now" Jenner and the Kardashians.

The followers of just those people should provide ample evidence that the public cannot be trusted with information unless it is OK magazine.

The world is not a safer place thanks to this speccy twat, all the extremists, paedo's and other groups of people with fundamental character flaws has just changed their methods of communication making the world less safe.

Meanwhile in OK magazine, Paris Hilton shows some thigh.. (And she look like a grasshopper).

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Snowden is not a hero..

"I just don't get it..."

No. No, you don't. But do try again, mkay?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You have a moniker that appears to imply you like to get bestial with chickens. Nothing particularly wrong in having such a moniker unless it actually implies your predilection for such things.

However, in the kind of world that the likes of Mr Snowden is valiantly attempting to avoid, you will not be able to call yourself Ch1ck3nSh4ggr. Actually, you wouldn't even know about people like Mr Snowden. You would blissfully carry on worrying about your first world "problems".

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you subscribe to the "I've got nothing to hide, so ..." mantra as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What don't you get?

Some people follow celebrity and OK magazine due to narcissistic tendencies brought about by being raise on a diet of television and never thinking outside of the box or having someone teach them about empathy. This is particularly amplified in today's youth.

The public can and should be trusted with information or would you rather live in a society built around totalitarian ideals where you are just told what to do without the option to question it?

Finally what in the name of the almighty flying spaghetti monster made you make this comment?

"The world is not a safer place thanks to this speccy twat, all the extremists, paedo's and other groups of people with fundamental character flaws has just changed their methods of communication making the world less safe."

Do you think these people were using these methods of communication to start with? Do you not think that when someone got caught and the only way they could have been caught was that they were being monitored that everyone in their respective group didn't go "Our communications are not safe"? So basically they knew before us (most of us anyway).

Clown.

4. angstboy

My name is Ed. And you are a very bad writer. I thought I disagreed with you until I recognized that you actually had not expressed an opinion, just random thoughts along the line of "Yoghurt! I mean fucking hell...what is up with yoghurt?." A seeming opinion that is never actually...ummm...actualized. Go get some yoghurt, or some thigh, or some Cait. But please, really, be quiet.

10. Vlad

Jarre - a blast from the past

Is JMJ still churning out albums? I liked his early stuff but grew tired of buying the (expensive at the time) CDs - only to find that each one was more disappointing than the previous one. I won't be bothering with this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jarre - a blast from the past

Then you sound like the ideal customer for a streaming service. You just pay a fixed £9.99 per month - and if you listen to the track but don't like it, you can take comfort from the fact that only 0.1p of your subscription went to the artist.

11. Barry Rueger

What? Just a song?

I'm waiting for Snowden's inevitable appearance in "Dancing With The Stars."

1. Allan George Dyer
      Coat

Re: What? Just a song?

Another twist in his tale. Could be popular... some people want to see him do the hemp fandango. And he managed to waltz out of Hawaii and quickstep around the NSA.

I'll get my coat, while I can-can.

12. wagonman

Well said! Thank you.

You are a thinking man.

wagonman

13. angstboy
    Alien

Eddie Jobson was always better. Roxy Music, bitches.

1. BoldMan

I liked his solo stuff and the 2 albums he did with Curved Air and his one album with Jethro Tull. Used to like his UK stuff but can't bear to listen to it anymore...

14. Jay 2
    Happy

Thanks for pointing this out El Reg!

As I get older my fingers are considerably off the pulse concerning music, even artists that I quite like. Many I time as of late I've noctied that someone has released an album and I've known nothing about it. I'm quite a fan of strange bleepy music, so JMJ in cohorts with others (many of whom I also like) is an almost certain buy. Not bothered either way about Snowdon's contribution.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

1. BoldMan

Re: Snowden...

groan!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like