back to article Baddies' brilliant plan to get mobile malware whitelisted: Bribery

Criminals have resorted to bribes in order to smuggle malware into the source code of mobile gaming apps. The scam, in which malware authors bribed the employees of a legitimate mobile games company in China to embed malware into mobile apps, was uncovered by security researchers from Check Point. The bribe ensured that …

1. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

Next thing...

... people will be paying the writers of Ad Blocking software to let their rubbish through (along with any associated malware...)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Bribery ? Ah, in China. Move along.

That path is rather well-trodden if I'm not mistaken.

The only newsworthy part about it is that they got caught which, given that we're talking about malware, is not all that surprising since legitimate users would logically complain about an app that does dodgy things and that complaint would be handled by people other than the guy (or two) responsible for getting it on the store in the first place.

So it was kind of a stupid idea in the first place ; the kind of idea a low-level hacker incapable of defeating the AV would think of. Then again, it takes real smarts to defeat a proper AV system these days (when they're not shooting themselves in the foot that is), so I guess I'm not throwing him the book, just a handful of gravel.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Malware-related bribery. Rubber hose decryption.

More proof that the biggest problem with IT sits between chair and keyboard.

4. redpawn

Trust us

You can trust us to only feed you good games and utilities. You can trust your transactions through our apps because you trust us.

Without trust we are nothing, therefore we are trustworthy. Don't check the links in the chain now.

5. x 7

another reason not to use app stores

6. Someone_Somewhere

Re: So it was kind of a stupid idea in the first place

That doesn't follow - as long as they made more in the interim than it cost them then it was worth it.

Moreover, how many infected users will never learn of it because they don't read news reports about this kind of thing, thus making for a longer-term payoff?

I never thought I'd have anything positive to say about app-stores, but at least the model means that infection-rates will be lower than when people can simply 'share' their apps with their friends.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like