back to article BT hires cyber-security

BT is planning to hire 900 more cyber-security staff this year as part of plans to meet the growing demand for security services. The telco giant joins a growing number of vendors looking to tap into a scarce pool of cyber-security talent that initiatives such as the Cyber Security Challenge have only partially addressed. More …

1. BugabooSue
    Big Brother

For Good or Evil?

'Cyber' Security can mean protection of customers/businesses, snooping on customers/businesses, or both.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I remember the Phorm days - while I applaud most attempts to make the tech world safer, I don't trust BT to stop at the point where the privacy of individuals is respected. I expect anything that is useful will be monetized, to the detriment of said individuals.

Phorm was why I started to use a VPN for all of my online meanderings, and the HomeHub was dumped in favour of a more secure router within ten minutes of the BT engineer walking out of my house after installing "Infinity."

I have probably totally missed the thrust of this snippet of information, but I just do not trust them now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't care about BT

But if, as a side-effect, it means raising the 'cost' of employing people like me then it is all for the better .. I need to boost my pension if I want to 'retire' early before I'm 55.

3. dephormation.org.uk
    Devil

Cybersecurity? BT? Phorm?

BT perhaps jumping the gun on the spying opportunities offered by the IP Bill?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019