back to article China wants a 'Go' at Google's DeepMind

A group from China says it wants to build an AI to challenge the Google DeepMind AlphaGo system. According to a Reuters and Shanghai Securities News report, the Chinese Association for Artificial Intelligence and the Chinese Go Association plan to challenge AlphaGo to a computer-versus-computer Go match. The report did not …

1. wx666z
    Coat

Here comes the answer

And when both AI's end up with a pattern displaying 42?

Mine's the old fart sweater.

2. Chris G

Ultimate thinking

True useful human type AI will have 'arrived' when a computer can give a man a reasonable sounding excuse that will gain him sympathy, to give to his wife for forgetting their anniversary/her birthday/mother's name etc.

1. raving angry loony

Re: Ultimate thinking

A "magic 8 ball" can do that. It's not the excuse, it's the delivery that counts.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"A "magic 8 ball" can do that. It's not the excuse, it's the delivery that counts."

Great line, delivered flawlessly but I'll raise you "fork 'andles" (today only).

1. Spacedinvader

'ose....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, but an AI would never have reached the capabilities of processing and thought to come up with the solution of:

"Simply keep forgetting those dates until she no longer cares and accepts you don't give a shit."

Been working well for me for the last 26 years of marriage.

3. Mark 85

I hope that Google and the Chinese both teach their computers how to play Tic-Tac-Toe first before putting them on the Internet to challenge each other and anyone else. Hopefully no one has the missile launch controllers on the Internet but teaching Tic-Tac-Toe should ensure that no bad end comes from this.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Pint

@Mark 85

As long as these two AI's are not in control of the nuclear weapons and neither has a mission to protect mankind I'm all right with connecting these two.

Colossus was much more scary than WOPR.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: @Mark 85

Jeux Sans Frontiers

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: @Mark 85

Colossus = IoT with nukes

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
    1. AbelSoul
      Pint

Fantastic! I watched every episode of RD yet had no recollection of this so I guess I must've been pished for that episode.

Have a virtual pint for prompting me to revisit season 2.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like