Anyone for a Book Discussion? Marc Goodman, Future Crimes

This topic was created by Hargrove .

1. Hargrove
    Childcatcher

Anyone for a Book Discussion? Marc Goodman, Future Crimes

I just started this and am finding it an interesting read. It deals with and integrates a number of themes that are common in The Reg. I think it provides fodder for a number of interesting threads of discussion.

My intent is to throw out questions and points that catch my attention as I read. I hope that others will do the same.

For information:

The full title is "Future Crimes: Everything is connected, everyone is vulnerable and what we can do about it" (C) 2015; Published by Doubleday.

1. pibweb

Re: Anyone for a Book Discussion? Marc Goodman, Future Crimes

I've just got it out the library and will comment again later. At first glance it looks interesting but being quite a cynic my first task is to find out about Marc Goodman and his associates to see how credible his work and opinions are.

2. Hargrove

And a case in point

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/30/router_infecting_malware_gets_remastered/

provides a good example of a specific vulnerabilities Goodman sees in the IOT.

I'm not very -- actually not at all -- au courant with IT. The days (Today-45 years and counting) when I could code in machine language by punching the binary indicators/switches on the panel of a Naval Tactical Data System 642B are long gone. However, while I may have difficulty figuring out where I am at any given moment, I fancy I still, in the words of the salesmen's song from "The Music Man" have a feel for the territory.

My take is that we are in deep kimchi.

For marketing and competitive advantages, technology providers require that users allow them to load hundreds of programs and God alone knows how many lines of executable code. This is code that in most cases cannot be readily removed by the average user; code that if can be disabled can be reenabled by other system functions, and that regardless of user preferences runs unobserved and unattended in the background.

Every one of these is a mechanism for system failure, and a vector for potential malware attack and infection Marketing and support practices appear deliberately designed to obscure and deny users access to information to enable them to clean up their systems.

Those who govern, in their lust for unfettered hoovering every iota of data on everyone have been fully complicit by establishing policies that restrict user access to and impede development and use of technology that might allow end users to protect themselves.

I see no practical defense against the cyber threat under these conditions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon