back to article Security market to exceed $170 billion by 2020, analysts say

The information security market will hit US$170 billion (£120 billion, AU$227 billion) by 2020, a growth projection of some US$100 billion (£70 billion, A$134 billion) from current figures according to analyst firms. India-based firm MarketsandMarkets says the 2020 total includes security technologies like data leak prevention …

1. Mikel

Shocker

It's all snake oil.

2. Keith Glass

And yet us security worker bees. . .

. . . .are generally facing flat or declining salaries.

So. . . .who's taking all that extra coin home ???

3. weevil

The tag is "call your stoke broker" but the vast majority of security firms' stocks have plummeted in the last 6 months. They only seem to go "up" when there are high profile breaches.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Extrapolating that X will be worth Y by year Z

I will weigh a quarter of a ton more in 80 years time because I put a pound on last month.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Extrapolating that X will be worth Y by year Z

True, there are some natural limits on how large the pool of qualified security professionals can grow within a given time, but there does seem to be good growth in this area. Besides government contract positions, there are opportunities opening up in the automotive industry. I would also expect more in the area of IoT (AKA The World of Doodads) and mobile computing, but time will tell whether there be more positions in those areas or if they continue to be ignored by most manufacturers and consumers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like