back to article Cohesity and Pure make up a data storage sandwich together

Cohesity and Pure Storage are now best buddies, collaborating to push Pure FlashArrays for primary data storage and Cohesity’s C2000 for secondary data storage. Pure says: “Pure Storage and Cohesity together delivers the best of both worlds: all-flash performance for your mission-critical applications and flash-driven …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This won't end well.

Never does. VCE used to be best buds with Cisco :P

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh God, kill me now

Another advertorial on bloody storage. Please stop.

3. drob5284

Perfect Partnership

Haha. VCE was a joint venture between a handful of vendors. It is no surprise that they are falling apart. They are 100% dependent on VMware , Cisco, and EMC strategy and direction. If something happens, like EMC getting acquired by Dell, and a competitive technology gets introduced to the partnership, it is bound to cause stress. Pure and Cohesity are independent companies that are driving market adoption in their respective swim lanes. Could there be overlap? Maybe. But will they fall apart? Not likely. Pure and Cohesity together have a very compelling story that helps customers drive cost reduction while improving performance across the entire infrastructure.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trying to plug a hole

There's a gaping hole in Pure's product lineup they simply can't address. They can yell "flash for the price of disk" all day long but at the end of the day buyers are not dumb and know that despite the hooraaaaay marketing articles, flash and disk do not have price equilibrium, at least not yet.

Bringing on yet another vendor does not solve this, at least not from a customer's perspective. In fact, if anything, it complicates it. Different platforms, different installs, different management, different maintenance, different processes. Another thing to learn on top of what enterprises already have to manage because Pure and Cohesity will not be the only two vendors in an Enterprise Data center.

Sorry but that sandwich doesn't look attractive at all. .

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tape will outlive Spinning Rust

I like flash

I like tape

I don't like solutions that suggest old data should be moved to a cloud as opposed to be moved to tape

Who wants to pay $$ per month for data that is only being retained due to a archaic Regulatory requirement.

I do see flash becoming cost neutral with spinning rust soon, even in low IOPS needs when you take on TCO of year 4 maintenance contract uplifts, especially if the maintenance costs on Flash arrays start to drop (as they should given it should cost the vendor less to maintain Flash than Spinning rust).

That said for data that doesn't need to be accessed often (say just some of it every 7 years) tape rules today and I foresee it continue to do so... as long as tape costs drop at more than 50% every 3 years (my buy price of LTO6 is 50% of a LTO5 three years ago)... remember the LTO6 stores twice as much so you could say it's 0.25 the cost per TB stored

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rubrik?

Don't Rubrik do something very similar to Cohesity?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frankenblock?

So is Pure saying that disk ISN'T actually dead?? And customers need a hybrid approach to truly achieve the lowest total cost of ownership. Interesting.

The innovation that was put into this is mind-boggling. Is this a whole new category? A Frankenblock?

Oh wait, it appears there's a love fest with Rubrik as well:

https://www.purestorage.com/resources/type-a/pure_storage_and_rubrik_solution_brief.html

Pure Marketing Team Meeting: "We have to band together! OK, you take this 'reference architecture' doc, then find, then replace ...Cohesity - check, Rubrik - check, Actifio - check, Hedvig - check... oh wait do they compete with us? I'm not sure but the VC said we should do it so we have to...."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019