back to article Na na na na na na na na bionic-BATMAN! Boffins build bat-like electro-stimulated drone wings

Scientists at the University of Southampton and Imperial College London have developed a wing made from polymers that flex when current is supplied, which could seriously increase the flight time of small drones by mimicking nature. The wing is made of a polymer that can change its shape mid-flight using the battery power of …

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"resembles the so-called Caspian Sea Monster"

I'm sure it will be more stable when the missile launch tubes are installed.

1. Mark 85

Re: "resembles the so-called Caspian Sea Monster"

Since it's a ground effects drone for over water at this point, it would be torpedo tubes instead of missile tubes.

1. WraithCadmus
        Mushroom

Not so, the Caspian Sea Monster did have missiles, as they flew through the air to bombard landing sites.

1. Rol

"Caspian Sea Monster, an experimental ground effects aircraft developed by the Soviets in the 1960s to fly about 10 metres (33 ft) across water"

Perhaps useful in an attack against Birmingham, what with all its canals that need crossing, but a ten metres range is hardly a threat to civilization.

2. Mark 85

Perhaps, but flying through the dust cloud from the exploding ordnance just doesn't seem like a great idea. And 30 meters or so puts you in a prime ground fire location.

1. Rol

I remember my dad telling me about how they would aim the AAA at the ocean in front of low flying attackers during WWII.

Seems the rounds would bounce off the water and more readily make a hit on the much larger surface area presented by the underneath of the plane instead of the slim profile coming right at you.

He also recalled how they would rock the boat so as to get the big guns low enough to join in.

2. Chozo

I wonder if this would work as a way of fine tweaking the characteristics of a submarine propeller.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

erm ..

You'd think the boffins could afford a better video/phone camera. tut tut

Not sure we saw the point of flexing wings here .. the CSM was a rigid wing and an order of magnitude larger - and it worked!

4. Downside

I'd give that a rinse

I hope they rinsed it off before putting it back in the car.There's a sewage plant about half a mile upstream from there.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inspired by bats?

Can't see the connection at all.

Ok, they've incorporated a polymer, the rigidity of which can be altered by passing an electric current through it, in the wings, which is interesting in itself. However, this has nothing to with the patagium of bats, flying squirrels, pterosaurs or whatever, where the intrinsic flexibility/rigidity of the patagium membrane doesn't change.

Sure, the aforesaid animals can (or could, in the case of the pterosaurs) alter the flexibility of the patgium, but only by stretching it, in the same way that a sheet of cloth is less flexible when stretched and under tension than it is when loosely supported.

Seems a bit weird that they feel they need to make this spurious comparison when what they're doing is already interesting enough on its own. Mind you, it's also a bit weird that they've chosen a Wing-in-ground-effect vehicle to do their testing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You've got the wrong number of "na nas" for Batman

You're legally obliged to follow those ones with "hey hey, goodbye".

7. x 7

this design more closely resembles the kamikazi attack ground-effect vehicles used by the Iranians. Their plan is to use large numbers of cheap disposable fast missile launchers to overwhelm the defences of western navies.

I can see that they would be quite keen on acquiring this technology as the weight reduction could increase the performance of the vehicles

see this from 2010

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/04/northrop_mld_and_bavar/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad version of early biplane

Er... they appear to have powered captive propellors at the front.

Stretched fabric, with none of this electro-polymer stuff wouldn't look any different.

Or even would do better with a decent designer.

I could make a better one out of balsa wood. I think Biggles and co did too. As did Orville and Wilbur.

Their wings even warped.

Surprised this is from an aeronautics department....

9. Mephistro
    Devil

It sure flies like a bat...

A drunken, comatose one!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like