back to article Microsoft's malware mitigator refreshed, but even Redmond says it's no longer needed

Microsoft's enhanced mitigation toolkit (EMET) has been updated with support for Windows 10, but the company says you don't really need to download it any more. The defence tool is Microsoft's way of re-enforcing Windows versions from Vista to 8.1. Available since 2009, the tool has introduced the latest mitigation techniques …

1. Adam 1 Silver badge

> With Windows 10 we have implemented many features and mitigations that can make EMET unnecessary on devices running Windows 10

Oh great! Now even EMET Setup.msi installs Windows 10 for you.

2. kryptylomese

Microsoft now recommends installing Linux anyway so this is not an issue.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No longer Needed.....

That's because Microsoft already put the malware there in the form of W10 and it keeps putting it there no matter WTF you do.

The only known true mitigation tool it to wipe said drive and install an OS from any other vendor.

1. Charles 9 Silver badge

Re: No longer Needed.....

And if your business-critical software is Windows-ONLY and WINE-unfriendly?

1. kryptylomese

What happened to the blacksmiths when the car came along.....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>What happened to the blacksmiths when the car came along.....

They became grease monkeys.

2. Dan Wilkie

There's a toolkit by some of the denizens of the less reputable bits of the internet which disables and Blocks Win10 GWX. It works flawlessly - I found the link from the homepage for TG Station.

You're welcome.

4. J J Carter Silver badge
    Linux

Enjoy today's two minute MSFT hate responsibly

Many grey-beards have undiagnosed hypertension and risk a stroke

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Even their acronyms are crap. @Fihart

Didn't you just read what Mr. Carter wrote: 'Enjoy today's two minute MSFT hate responsibly'

EMET stands for "Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit". El Reg author was sloppy when writing the article (hey, it's Thursday already!), but I'm sure these sort of facts won't change your mind - keep hating bro!

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken Silver badge

Re: Even their acronyms are crap.

Technically, why would you expect "English from Redmond" in the first place?

6. ntevanza

In my day, this was all fields

Windows 7 hermits should be doing less of whatever it is hermits do, and more security busy-busy. Short version: if your Windows 7 machine is connected to the internet, install either EMET (a pain in the arse by Windows standards) or install Windows 8.x, which doesn't need it.

Windows 10 is just Windows 8.1 with a different shell. That upgrade looks less urgent. Discuss.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: In my day, this was all fields

The Windows 10 shell, is nicer than the Windows 8 one though...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The day I replace Win7 on my computer, it won't be with a Microsoft OS.

I'm not yet sure what I'll go for, but Win 7 is the last Microsoft OS that will ever encumber my disks.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"The day I replace Win7 on my computer, it won't be with a Microsoft OS."

Loads of people said that about XP, I wonder how many of them stuck with that promise and how much on an impact it made on Microsoft's bottom line.

1. jason 7

I managed to move all my XP diehards over to Windows 8/8.1 no problem.

I just slapped Classic Start on and didn't tell them it was 8/8.1.

Them - "Ohhh this is a lovely machine, so glad I didn't get that Windows 8 nonsense! heheeee"

Me - "Yes...yes that's right!"

Most of the fuss was because they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend's window cleaner it wasn't that good apparently!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I managed to move all my XP diehards over to Windows 8/8.1 no problem.

Are you sure they aren't now running 10?

It's a free upgrade and only available for a limited time as those prompts MS puts out via WUP, keep reminding them...

Yes under the hood 8.1 and 10 are quite good, shame MS only did a partial job and wrapped them in a load of excrement.

At the present I've managed to get most people to run GWX Control Panel, so that the upgrade can be controlled - I see little real benefit in the auto installation of a new 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable CPU and motherboard, something I've seen a few times now...

2. Geoffrey W Silver badge

RE: "wonder how many of them stuck with that promise"

It's probably like all those famous people who say "If <Political_Party> gets elected then I'm moving to <Fantasy_Utopia>" and then disappoint us all by staying put.

1. Darryl

Not disappointing to me... Most of those idiots are Americans threatening to move to Canada, and we really don't want 'em.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
              Happy

Didn't you send Justin Bieber and Celine Dion to the USA? I think Canada has much to answer for!

Of course, we sent them Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan, so are probably not in the best position to comment...

1. Geoffrey W Silver badge

RE: "Didn't you send Justin Bieber and Celine Dion to the USA?"

Canada also sent Neil Young and Joni Mitchell so their karma balances

1. Kurt Meyer
                  Stop

Karma not balanced

@ Geoffrey W - Two words

William Shatner

1. Geoffrey W Silver badge

Re-Balanced

@ Kurt Meyer

I take your William Shatner and raise you one James Doohan (Scotty)

7. jason 7

Hang on MS...

We don't need EMET because its all in Windows 10 etc. ?

Why is it then if I check the DEP setting (one of the major ones of the set) in Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP that it is only enabled for Internet Explorer by default? I have to manually set it to run for everything.

Sure it's all built in but it's all switched off by default. The reason being I'm pretty sure is that if they switched it all on (like you can do with EMET) that masses of old software and modern stuff that isn't coded to the proper standard would fail. Even modern versions of Chrome still trip up on it. You then either switch off the security or wait for the next release.

It would be good if the Reg could contact MS and ask why it's all switched off and how that helps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang on Jason...

Jason, You'd be the first to complain that by enabling all the services on at install that EMET would break the ancient software on your PC.

Learn to hate RESPONSIBLY!

1. jason 7

I've been running EMET on max settings for over three years now. I have no old software that trips it.

Never been a fan of supporting legacy.

1. kryptylomese

Windows is legacy

2. Field Commander A9

Re: Hang on MS...

Because forced DEP brakes a lot of legacy software, CounterStrike1.6 for example(a surprisingly lot of people are still playing this version here in the most populated country on earth). And forced SEHOP breaks even more.

1. jason 7

Not you again! Keeping a donkeys year sold game running does not mean that everyone else should miss out on having a more secure machine.

If it breaks...fix it!

1. Charles 9 Silver badge

Thing is, many people still play the old CounterStrike, and as far as they're concerned IT's not the thing that's broken but the OS. If the OS can't support the software (and the software's more important than the OS), then the OS should be able to accommodate. Until then, we're kinda stuck here. Like I tell people, if you want people to REALLY start finally migrating off Microsoft OS's, probably the best way to do that is to get the mainstream game developers on board.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

If the OS can't support the software (and the software's more important than the OS), then the OS should be able to accommodate.

I agree, and that is the reason why MS should of originally included EMET in XP (SP4) and amended 'compatibility mode' so that it became easier for application profiles to be created and shared and for the functionality to be rolled forward into 7, 8 & 10.

Additionally, MS could create an online repository of such profiles: My security suite (which I've been using for years) does this when I install new software, it simply pulls down a new ruleset if it exists in it's remote DB or I get to create a set of rules which get uploaded to the DB and revised if others use the same software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019